Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've switched to using Windowmaker as my desktop manager. Can't seem to get separate themes for each individual workspace though. If I set a theme it applies it to all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windowmaker - applies themes globally

I've switched to using Windowmaker as my desktop manager. Can't seem to get separate themes for each individual workspace though. If I set a theme it applies it to all my workspaces. Google and the Windowmaker website don't have any info. that I can find... any ideas?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I still have no idea how to apply separate themes on separate desktops, but I have a configuration file inside my Windowmaker directory, and I'd bet good money that I need to change the settings there. I'm no hacker though, so I'm still trying to figure it out. I fear that code
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux User
    Looks like you might be breaking new grounds here, going by the lack of replies.

You could try posting the contents of that config file - someone here might help disect it for you...

Otherwise, if you get it all sorted out, post your findings here for future reference.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, thanks for that. I'll have a look at the code again 'cos I have a rough idea (a VERY rough idea) where the right bit of code is...

Okay! I've spent a bit of time looking at WindowMaker config. files. The only reference I can find to the jpeg image I have set as a desktop background is in a directory called 'defaults' (I think... it was late last night when I looked ). The config file is called 'WindowMaker' (imaginative!) and the block of code I think I need to fiddle with goes like-a this-a:

WorkspaceBack=(
    tpixmap,
    "/home/fingal/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Backgrounds/eyecandy.jpg",
    gray20
    );

Not much code, but I wrote it out 'by hand'. Of course, I'm only guessing that this is the file I need. My way of making a theme is really crude. I just set a jpeg as a background image and save it as a theme. WindowMaker then dynamically generates a file in my themes directory which contains all the settings needed to display the theme. It's quite a big file, but it does the job. I wondered if I could add a line or two into the code to make it display the theme/image **only** in that workspace. I don't like themes applied globally across all my workspaces.

Well, I don't think anyone knows the answer to this, so I'll drop the question! I know most people use KDE and Gnome, but I think WindowMaker is pretty good as well.

I have a theory that the answer is something to do with nesting the code inside brackets. I also know that it's possible to have separate desktop themes for separate workspaces in KDE, 'cos that's the setup I have on Peanut Linux. I dual boot that with Mandrake 9.1 by the way.

See you all later sometime