Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Red Hat 9 and modified my panel. I added a system tray so that i can use the KDE Keyboard Tool and KGet. When i finished i realized ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uknown Item in Tray!

I installed Red Hat 9 and modified my panel. I added a system tray so that i can use the KDE Keyboard Tool and KGet. When i finished i realized that there was also a grey square there that i can't get rid off. I saw my share of linux screenshots in the internet and thats the first time i see something like this. Is there a way to turn this thing off.

Here is a screenshot to see what i'm talking about.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/dimitris/index.html

If you know how to remove this plz tell me.
    Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    its in kde right? open up either kde system guard or gnome system monitor (i cant remember which 1 its in) and there is a thing showing current processes and which ones are parents children of others etc. (kinda a flashed up version of top) check if u can find somethign under kdeinit that u dont think should be there

Linux Enthusiast
    my quick and easy way of fixing that problem:

right click on taskbar
    remove
    applet
    system tray

gone!

Just Joined!
    yowwww thanks for your answer but i think you didn't understand. I don't want the whole system tray to disappear cause i need it to have access to KDE Keyboard Tool and KGet. I just want to remove the applet or the process thats making that little grey square appear in the system tray. I tried double and left clicking on it but nothing happens. I don't even know what the stupid thing is or does.
    Like Hellmasker said it must be a process running in the background so i will try to find it and shut it down.

Just Joined!
    This has nothing to do with the grey square on your kde system tray. I noticed you are using gkrellm and I've never seen that module at the bottom before - the one that looks like a radar screen and says "Lock" and "Shoot". Just curious, what is that?

Just Joined!
    Well the radar thing is nothing actually but the lock button locks the screen (invokes screensaver) and the shoot button brings out a selection arrow and with it can capture selected regions of the screen.

Linux Enthusiast
    Arkas:

I understood exactly what you meant and that was the fix I used. I don't have any use whatsoever for the system tray though. I wasn't sure if you cared if it was there or not.

Just Joined!
    Hey, thanks for the the response. So, that neat radar screen does nothing? What a waste, it's kind of a cool idea for a system monitor. Anyway, what do the N,C and S buttons do? BTW, is that whole section all contained in one module or are there several? And what's the name of the module/s so I can search for the source? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    The N, S, C, buttons enable the Num, Scroll, Caps Lock keys. This app is named gkrellm and all the plugins come with the application. I downloaded this from freshrpms but you can download it in source from http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html.
    There are a lot more plugins that i did not enable that come with the application.
    Abyway i think is a very handy app if you want to get quick feedback on whats going on on your CPU, HDs, Memory etc.