Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Ive been using Mandrake 10.1 (Mandriiva). I don't know why, but all of a sudden I have no desktop icons. In any environment, even under another username. I use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop Icons disappeard into thin air

Hi. Ive been using Mandrake 10.1 (Mandriiva). I don't know why, but all of a sudden I have no desktop icons. In any environment, even under another username.

I use gnome, and filerunner. Filerunner came after I had no icons for a while. I can't get to my home directory, i've tried linking it to the menu and to a launcher and it tells me I don't have permission for it.

But...my sessions are remembered okay. I've even flushed out the old session but no luck.

Linux Engineer
    The icons are stored in a directory called ~/Desktop
    If it does'nt exist, try to create it and try creating new icons. Also, the home icon and such should appear if they are enabled in gconf-editor, so it is a bit weird that they don't appear, it may be an issue with nautilus... Try to run "nautilus" in a terminal and see if any errors appear. As a temporary solution, you could also install an app called "idesk" to manage icons until the normal ones get fixed.