Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Now that is strange. It seems to be remapping characters for some reason. Try going to this URL: http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/chartest Force iso-8859-1 decoding by going to Menu Bar->View->Character Coding->More->West European->Western (ISO-8859-1). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Now that is strange. It seems to be remapping characters for some reason.
    Try going to this URL:
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/chartest
    Force iso-8859-1 decoding by going to Menu Bar->View->Character Coding->More->West European->Western (ISO-8859-1). Now, what does that look like? It should look like this:
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/chartest.png

Linux Engineer
    Nope, it was already on Western ISO-8859-1. Here's what mine looks like:
    http://dolda2000.com/~bpark/myresult.jpg

Did I mention that this font is a ttf font from Windows? Does it matter that I don't have xfonts-100dpi installed?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I just checked that page that you gave as an example out more closely, and my suspicions were confirmed. It's a wonder that you don't get even more bizarre results, actually.
    This page was most probably written in MS Word on a Winbloze computer. Those apostrophes aren't really ASCII single quotes, but Microsoft's own "closing" quotes, located on ASCII 146, completely incompatible with any standardized character set. These parts (128-160) of the 8-bit character coding space are defined as control characters by the ISO standard, but Microsoft thought it would be fun to put some extra characters there without telling anyone. Now (much to everyone's surprise...) that's messing everything up. See the demoroniser's manpage for more info on this.

Mozilla has learned to work around it sometimes, but apparently, it doesn't always work.

You can try to force decoding with the Windows-1252 charset, but I wouldn't guarantee that it will work. The best thing would be to mail the author of the page with a link to the demoroniser.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    So what you are saying is that this is the a server side problem and not my browser that's causing it?

Linux Guru
    Probably, at least. The server side problem is certainly a big part, and most likely the root, of the problem, at least.

Linux Engineer
    When I create Web pages, I usually do it in Windows and use notepad. As far as I can remember, I've never had problems viewing them in Linux with the same problems. Do you know exactly how this problem is created?

Linux Guru
    It has to do with Word's "smart" typing or whatever it's called, which automagically replaces typed ASCII characters with these incompatible Win-1252 characters. The entire problem is described in the manpage that I posted a link to earlier in this topic. I'm not sure that you really want to know, though; it's one of Microsoft's darker sides...

Linux Engineer
    Not that I want to acutally create pages like that, I was just interested in reading more about it. Of course that link is a good place to start so I'll shut up now and read it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2