Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm fairly new to linux. I have been "messing" with it for several years, but I still feel fairly new. This is also my first post in this forum. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

startup applications, like in Windows

Ok, I'm fairly new to linux. I have been "messing" with it for several years, but I still feel fairly new. This is also my first post in this forum. I have Fedora Core 3, running gnome (the default).

I want a Firefox window to run automatically when a specific user logs into Gnome (not every user). This seems like an easy enough task, but I just can't figure it out on my own. In windows I would just put a shortcut of firefox in the <startup> folder. How do I accomplish the same thing in Fedora Core 3 gnome?

thanx!

Linux Engineer
    FIrst, login as that user and open firefox. Then, without closing firefox, open the menu and press "logout". Then, an menu should show up, select "logout" and "save session", and loguot. When you login again, firefox should be there.

Just Joined!
    There is a menu option (at least with Ubuntu/gnome) that lets you select which applications to start-up with. I forgot what it's called, however. jab's suggestion also works, and I believe that it is a way to auto-configure it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Just edit your .xinitrc in your user's home directory with the line

Code:
    exec firefox&

Just Joined!
    OK, neither of these suggestions worked.

1. Whe I tried the "save current session" option when logging out, I got a message saying "firefox does not support being saved and will have to be manually restarted next time you log it"

2. When I tried editing my .xinitrc absolutely nothing happend.

I even tried copying the default .xinitrc from /etc/X11/xinit and editing that one, but still nothing happened. I may not have been putting it in the right part of the file. I put it at the very end.

When you logout, I think jaboua meant logging out of X, without logging out of firefox.
    Next time you login to X, firefox will be running.

The .xinitrc file, from my understanding was just for Desktop Environments and Window Managers.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux User
    Actually, you can load anything from the .xinitrc
    Right now I have mine loading xscreensaver, mail-notification, a couple Eterms, fbpanel, and finally Enlightenment. If I had broadband I'd have it load Gaim too.

But I'm using Slim login manager. GDM, XDM, and probably KDM and WDM don't use the .xinitrc by default. I never got far enough to figure out what they do use, but you're probably better off just using the Gnome session manager. It's moving around in recent Gnome releases, and I'm not familiar with Fedora, but it looks like Sessions at the far bottom right in this screenshot:
    http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=173&slide=48
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    yes! I just found the session manager, before I even read your replies. Thank you for all of your help anywayz!

It was in Applications>Preferences>More Preferences>Sessions, and then there's a tab called "Startup Programs"

Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    I never got far enough to figure out what they do use ...
    Think it is ~/.Xclients-default or something similar