Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have been using Linux for 3 days now. I have managed to install Suse 9.1, upgrade to 9.3 and install a very small distro named Deli Linux for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Netscape issue when using multiple dekstops.

Hey,

I have been using Linux for 3 days now. I have managed to install Suse 9.1, upgrade to 9.3 and install a very small distro named Deli Linux for a POS laptop I have. I've learned a lot, gotten frustrated but nevertheless enjoying the hell out of Linux.

I've been a Netscape user for a very long time. I have it installed successfully (7.2) on Suse 9.3 Pro. I'm also using 4 virtual desktops. Each is configured to open and track it's individual apps. However, when I open Netscape on Desktop1 and switch to any other of the virtual desktops and try to start Netscape it wants me to choose a user profile because I can't use the "default" profile that is in use (on Desktop1).

Even when I go to the Control Center | Desktop | Taskbar and enable "Show windows from all dekstops" I get the same result.

I would like to have the ability to run Netscape on any of the desktops and was wondering if anyone had heard of this or could provide me with a solution/workaround? I've searched the forums and google and can't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

You could "sticky" the browser to all of your desktops. In KDE, there is a little button in the window border (usually at the top left) that would do that for you.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Flatline,

I appreciate the reply. Thanks, I had no idea that was even up there or that window customization was that extensive. For now I guess I'll have to force Netscape into all desktops. I've been messing with it all day but no luck. I tested Firefox and it ran perfectly when I opened up separate instances in each desktop. Some problem with Netscape. Might be time to switch browsers.

Not really a "problem" with Netscape...it's just that Netscape and Mozilla are more than just browsers - they're also mail clients, etc. They assume that if you're opening more than one instance you must want more than one user active at a time.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson