Find the answer to your Linux question:
In regular command line interface, hitting Alt-F1 through F6 gives different command prompts, with Alt-F7 being the GUI (KDE in my case). I can get to KDE but can not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Command Line -> KDE -> back to command [solved]

In regular command line interface, hitting Alt-F1 through F6 gives different command prompts, with Alt-F7 being the GUI (KDE in my case). I can get to KDE but can not get back to the command prompts without shutting it down. The Alt-?? keys take on functionality of their own. Where can I set the keys to get back to command line, or which keys are they, if already set?

Thanks

Linux User
    I don't know if it's different with Gentoo or not, but to get to CLI, I usually press Ctrl+Alt+F1.

Hope this helps

Re: Command Line -> KDE -> back to command [solved]

Quote Originally Posted by rowman
    In regular command line interface, hitting Alt-F1 through F6 gives different command prompts, with Alt-F7 being the GUI (KDE in my case). I can get to KDE but can not get back to the command prompts without shutting it down. The Alt-?? keys take on functionality of their own. Where can I set the keys to get back to command line, or which keys are they, if already set?

Thanks
    So you go KDE to CLI and back to KDE and then you cannot get back to CLI?
    Or are you booting to CLI and then from KDE you have the problem? If so, most likely the monitor sync is not set correctly - a frequent issue.

What happens if instead of rebooting you Kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace?
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What soulbrothax831suggested works just fine. I was having problems getting from GUI to CLI, but now I know the keys. Thanks