Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason, my display is several inches to the right of center on my monitor. This happens in both KDE and GNOME, but if I play SuperTux it doesn't. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I center the display on the monitor (left/right)?

For some reason, my display is several inches to the right of center on my monitor. This happens in both KDE and GNOME, but if I play SuperTux it doesn't. I can adjust some of the difference at the monitor itself, but I've run out of adjustment and it still isn't centered. I've ended up adjusting the display area to be narrower so I can see the whole desktop (leaving an empty strip on the left), but since this is an old 15 inch CRT there wasn't much room to spare to begin with!

I've looked all over for where this can be adjusted (Mandrake HW Setup tools, XF89cfg, KDE setup), but can't find it. On my old Suse 9.1 system I had found a way to change this once, so I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this. Does anyone know?

System details:
    Mandriva 10.2
    S3 onboard video
    CTX 1562GM Monitor

Linux Guru
    That's annoying when it shifts for some things and not others. Maybe the program xvidtune will work for you.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thanks drakebasher!

That really seemed like the kind of tool I was looking for. I'm not sure why the changes I made didn't impact the screen center. Fortunately, I found that if I configure my monitor as generic CRT instead of putting in the make/model I don't have that problem any more.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard
    Fortunately, I found that if I configure my monitor as generic CRT instead of putting in the make/model I don't have that problem any more.
    Ah, the mysteries of Linux! That's good to know, for those of us who still use the old analog displays.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard
    Fortunately, I found that if I configure my monitor as generic CRT instead of putting in the make/model I don't have that problem any more.
    Ah, the mysteries of Linux! That's good to know, for those of us who still use the old analog displays.
    Interesting indeed. I noticed the "screen shifted an inch" problem on my old CRT when switching from Linux to Windows on a dual-boot. Should I ever encounter a CRT again I will give this a shot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants