Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i'd like to learn how to do two things to my system tray (kde 3.3.1): 1. how to make the icons be arranged in two instead of one row? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to customize system tray?

hello

i'd like to learn how to do two things to my system tray (kde 3.3.1):
    1. how to make the icons be arranged in two instead of one row?
    2. how to change the sysytem tray icon of an application (limewire)?

also, could you please tell me how i could mount a disk in autostart?

Linux Engineer
    I think kde makes them in two lines if you make your panel big enough, wonder if the limit was either 49 or 59 px panel... About the system tray you probably can if you first find the icons :P

But why do you want to mount a disk in autostart? If you add it in /etc/fstab and install some spesific apps (comes with for example mandriva), then the disks would be auto-mounted.

Just Joined!
    thanks it was 48. i never tried it before because i was absolutely sure it would be much more than that.

i want to mount a disk 'cause i have an extra disk where i store among others limewire's downloads. if the disk is not mounted, limewire returns an error and until i know how to mount it automatically, i can't put limewire to autostart.
    do you know what sort of apps are these? i'm using mepis 3.3.1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Mount it automaticly? You mean at boot? You can do that by adding a /etc/fstab line with auto-mounting enabled, if you give us the command used to mount it we can probably cook together a fine fstab-entry for you

I do not know how to use autostart thought, so someone else might answer if you really want it to autostart.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much, this is very nice of you there's just the problem that i don't know that command. i mount them by opening them in konqueror... which is not the most professional way, i guess. i'll try to learn what it should be.

Linux Engineer
    Eh... Do you know the name of the device? Or perhaps how it is connected?

Just Joined!
    to be honest, i don't. but i've just tried typing "mount /dev/sdb3" and it worked

Linux Engineer
    1) Open /etc/fstab with a text-editor as root, and add this line:
    Code:
    /dev/sda3                /mnt/usb        auto            users,auto            0 0
    Then save & exit. That will try automount it at boot . Now, create the mountpoint as this:
    Code:
    su -c "mkdir -p /mnt/usb"
    Replace /mnt/usb with where you want it to mount the partition, and good luck

Just Joined!
    i'm sorry but i don't really understand it. what do you mean by "where i want to mount it"? i want the most simple way of mounting, just to make the partition accessible by limewire. as far as i can undersatand "mount --help", when i type "mount /dev/sdb3", i'm not specifying where i want to mount it.
    should i just replace "/mnt/usb" in the two codes you've written by "/mnt/sdb3"? is that it?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoix
    i'm not specifying where i want to mount it.
    In that case, you allready have a fstab entry for the device. Can you please post your /etc/fstab?