Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm having a few problems with...well, X in general I guess. A little info that I'm sure will be useful: I use entrance currently as my display manager (as opposed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Some random questions/problems regarding X

I'm having a few problems with...well, X in general I guess.

A little info that I'm sure will be useful: I use entrance currently as my display manager (as opposed to gdm or kdm). I use KDE, though I'm trying several different window managers to find which one I like best.

I'd like to know how to get rid of window managers from the display manager. Since I've installed a few and gotten rid of most of them, I now have 7 or 8 window managers available, but only 1 works (KDE)

I also tried installing Englightenment, and it worked the first tme I loaded it from within the display manager, but once I logged out and tried logging back into it, KDE loaded....and I couldn't load Enlightenment since then (this is the reason I'm down to one window manager...I removed Enlightenment since I couldn't use it anyways lol).

Another problem: kdm doesn't load anything! . When I try loading any of the window managers it gives me an error message and brings me right back to the login. I can post the error if you'd like...just have to restart to do that

When I was using Enlightenment, everything went great except that I couldn't load any of the openoffice programs . I then went to KDE to see if this was just openoffice or something else, and KDE loaded any of the openoffice programs without a problem. I really need access to the openoffice programs as I'm using linux (Gentoo) as my main operating system and need to be able to type things for school.

Last question (not a problem, though ):
    What window manager would you recommend to me? I'm looking for something that is lightweight/fast, very customizable/looks good, has a file manager (nautilus, konqueror, or something similar to them), and is pretty well supported. I installed windowmaker in hopes that it would work, but never actually got a chance to use it (KDE would load no matter what I chose). I've tried fluxbox, but something didn't feel right about it; I tried enlightenment and I was pretty happy with it, but it didn't have a file manager....I loaded konqueror from within enlightenment to view folders; I also tried gnome, but I didn't find it customizable enough, so I switched to KDE...but KDE seemed to bulky.

I've used either gnome or KDE for a few months now, but I'm looking for something that fits my criteria more closely (lightweight, customizalble, file manager, well supported/well known). I have a feeling that WindowMaker would have worked as I've read good reviews about it, but I didn't get to actually try it out.

All comments and suggestions are welcome

Linux Engineer
    Xfce

I also sugest that you use runlevel 3 and manually start X.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Xfce

ok, i'll try xfce

also, how would you manually start X? I know you can use the startx command, but i think that loads whatever the default window manager is; or you can use exec .... to load one (ie: exec startkde; exec gnome-session), but how would I go about doing that with xfce? would i type "exec xfce" or would i change "XSESSION=" to "xfce" in /etc/rc.conf?

thanks for the suggestion

also, in case i want to use a desktop manager, do you know of the way to get rid of the extra window managers from the menu?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Xfce

ok, i'll try xfce

also, how would you manually start X? I know you can use the startx command, but i think that loads whatever the default window manager is; or you can use exec .... to load one (ie: exec startkde; exec gnome-session), but how would I go about doing that with xfce? would i type "exec xfce" or would i change "XSESSION=" to "xfce" in /etc/rc.conf?

thanks for the suggestion

also, in case i want to use a desktop manager, do you know of the way to get rid of the extra window managers from the menu?
    I figured out how to do it . In gentoo, i stopped xdm from loading at startup then (once logged in at bootup in the terminal) you type exec startxfce4.

thanks for the suggestion...very nice window manager

If you want to be able to just type "startx" and have xfce4 start, do
    as root
    nano -w .xinitrc

add this line

startxfce4

hit Ctrl + x and save your work

you can use any text editor you like.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    If you want to be able to just type "startx" and have xfce4 start, do
    as root
    nano -w .xinitrc

add this line

startxfce4

hit Ctrl + x and save your work

you can use any text editor you like.
    cool, thanks a lot! typing "exec startxfce4" was bothering me and i'm afraid i might forget it sometime.

ican you specify where exactly ".xinitrc" is supposed to be saved? i've heard about this a few times but was afraid of trying since i wasn't 100% where i was supposed to put the file. all i've heard is the home directory. would that be "/home/" or "/home/user/" or "/root/"?

thanks for the advice

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, XFCE4 really is a nice one, for sure. I started running it several months ago don't see any reason to run KDE or Gnome again. Fluxbox is another one that I run quite often. It's lighter weight than XFCE4, but doesn't have the eye candy.

Good luck with your new desktop environment / window manager!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Yeah, XFCE4 really is a nice one, for sure. I started running it several months ago don't see any reason to run KDE or Gnome again. Fluxbox is another one that I run quite often. It's lighter weight than XFCE4, but doesn't have the eye candy.

Good luck with your new desktop environment / window manager!
    thanks

so far i really like xfce...i just have to figure out a couple of things, but that's half the fun

since you've been using it for a few months, may i ask a question? can you tell me whether or not you have some major kde/gnome packages installed (ie: gnome-base, kde-base) just in case there's a program that needs them? I'm wondering if it's safe to completely remove kde (i've removed gnome before the xfce install) or should i leave it? I'd like to save the hd space (though it's not that important) if i can. no need to have something on the system that you don't use

If you type "nano -w .xinitrc" or whatever your favorite text editor is.

That will put it in the correct directory, the directory you are in.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    can you tell me whether or not you have some major kde/gnome packages installed (ie: gnome-base, kde-base) just in case there's a program that needs them? I'm wondering if it's safe to completely remove kde (i've removed gnome before the xfce install) or should i leave it? I'd like to save the hd space (though it's not that important) if i can. no need to have something on the system that you don't use
    No, I don't have any KDE or Gnome packages installed, nor do I have any Gnome or KDE libraries. You might not need them either, depending on the packages you wish to use. So whether or not you can delete KDE/Gnome also depends on the packages you wish to use.

Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast