Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any MS windows terminal server clients for xwindows? The idea is to run a MS server (Win 2K) in the backroom with the linux workstations connecting to and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MS windows terminal server client for xwindows

Are there any MS windows terminal server clients for xwindows?

The idea is to run a MS server (Win 2K) in the backroom with the linux workstations connecting to and run the few MS windows apps from that server.

But I guess with the MS server controlling license this wouldn't give unlimited clients to the MS server. I guess the next thing need is an open source means on the server to open the MS windows to unlimited clients.

Linux Guru
    Yes, there is the rdesktop application. Don't you think it's a better idea to replace the windows server with a linux one, though?

Just Joined!
    Yes if possible run linux apps, but there are some apps not yet available in a useful form for linux. There the need for a MS box running a few apps is needed.

Linux Guru
    What apps are you referring to? I'd say there's almost always an open source equivalence.

Linux Engineer
    When I need to fix the win2k server at work, I connect to it with vnc. You might want to check that out. Tightvnc on linux is nice and I can remember the vnc server we use on the win2k box but it is free.

Linux Enthusiast
    tsclient for GNOME2 is looking pretty lately.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

The idea is to move people to linux workstations and x terminals. For many areas a clear path is given with apps like apache, mysql, cvs, gcc, openoffice.

The area I found linux is still thin on apps is hardware eda tools and there is a need to support the old designs developed with MS windows tools.

Linux Guru
    genlee: I was going to suggest vnc, too, but the windows vnc server isn't multiuser, is it? At least I think the one from realvnc.com isn't.

EDA? Are you referring to Electronic Design Automation? I'm not very into that area, but isn't eagle (http://www.cadsoft.de/) something like what you're looking for in that case? It's not open source, but I've used a (just a little, though), and it seems really good.

Linux Engineer
    Yeah I forgot it wasn't multiuser on windows platforms. Everyone who connects will see the same desktop. Damn windows. Anyway you could always try running your software with wine and see how that is.