Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. So, after much reinstall, much hassle, much everything but enjoying my favorite OS, I got pretty much everything working. My net is up, I have KDE configured the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange Behaviour in X...

Hi guys.

So, after much reinstall, much hassle, much everything but enjoying my favorite OS, I got pretty much everything working.

My net is up, I have KDE configured the way I like, everything.

ANd then something rediculous happens.

Frozen Bubble (the game) locked up when I tried to start a new game. No biggie.

Well, I restart the computer, and, I have the "busy" cursor displayed for about 10 minutes after login. It went away, and I went on with my business.

I changed my XMMS skin, changed it's desktop, had a Mozilla browser open, and Mandrake Control.

I rerstarted, and the desktop had reverted back to my old XMMS skin, and that was all that was open...
    I usually liked having a few of my windows open when I logged back in, it was convenient.

ANd then my superkaramba vanished. It isn't where it was, but I can't uninstall it (because I don't know how)

ANybody know about such behavior?

Linux Guru
    As for XMMS, I think it's a bit gay concerning the skins. At least on RedHat, it used to automatically switch back to the Bluecurve skin. I don't really remember, but I think that that was a "feature" that RedHat had kindly provided me with... Maybe Mandrake does something similar.

To make the windows that you had open when you log out reappear the next time you log in, you need to check the "save session" check box in the logout confirmation dialog.

What is superkaramba?

Btw., if a game crashes while in fullscreen mode, your best option is not to reboot, but to press Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in and kill it manually.

Linux Newbie
    Superkaramba is a little program that can display "widgets", you know, like a type of thing like gkrellm but transparent for example.
    Linux Underground (my own linux website)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OKay, so all that stuff is fixed, but now I have a damned busy cursor on my desk the whole time... when it's over an app, it turns to a cursor, but when it's just floating around the desktop, it's a busy cursor... what could that be?

Linux Guru
    That busy cursor isn't much more than a hack anyway, so I recommend that you turn it off completely. It has never worked anywhere near flawlessly for me.

Just Joined!
    HOw would one go about doing that? I'm a complete newbie...

OKay, new problem...

I was intending to install a new splash screen for startup, and the site (kdelook.org) I was on said something about creating a directory ~/.kde/share/ blah blah...

Well, while browsing through my various directories, I accidentally one clicked the file called Kicker, and, I have another kicker now. That I don't know how to turn off... How do I turn it off.

Linux Guru
    I don't usually use KDE, so I can't tell for sure, but the option for the busy cursor is somewhere in the control panel.