Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running on a fresh Gentoo Stage 3 installation and wanted to install Rox Desktop. The only things I've installed/emerged were: xorg-x11, mozilla-firefox, openoffice, gaim. I searched google.com/linux for an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Having trouble loading Rox Desktop

I'm running on a fresh Gentoo Stage 3 installation and wanted to install Rox Desktop. The only things I've installed/emerged were: xorg-x11, mozilla-firefox, openoffice, gaim.

I searched google.com/linux for an answer on this, but the only one that seemed relevant was written in spanish...I can understand some of it, but not enough to know what to do

I followed the Gentoo installation instructions at http://rox.sourceforge.net, including adding "rox -p Default -b Default" to /home/user/.xinitrc, but I get this error when i type startx at a command prompt (and after the screen flashes a couple of times...the second time I can see the cross ("X") for a mouse pointer but only for a very short while):
    Code:
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local/, removing from list!

waiting for X server to shut down
    Did I miss something I was supposed to install? It does this when I try running startx as root or my user (I've also added this to ./.xinitrc for root).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also, i've read a lot about window managers in the rox website (such as xfwm4). do i need to install a separate one?

EDIT (x2): I've been searching and the error that I posted doesn't seem to normally stop X from running...though i may have misunderstood that. Does anyone know any reasons why Rox won't load? The install is very straightforward...I just don't understand why it's not working

EDIT (one last time): Since I wasn't sure if it was Rox or X, I installed Fluxbox. Fluxbox works fine, no errors and started up immediately. Just another note. Can someone help me figure out why Rox doesn't work?

you will need to install some sort of window manager.
    e.g. Fluxbox (what i use), KDE, gnome etc etc.

Once u have done this, u need to put the relevent window manager startup line in:

~/.xinitrc
    for example, in my ~/.xinitrc i have:

Code:
    exec fluxbox
    This opens up fluxbox, whenever i type startx in the command line.

However, i tend to use gdm which is a graphical log in.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    I use fluxbox with rox but thats only because i couldnt be botherd changing to the one they reccomend which is "oroborox"

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    you will need to install some sort of window manager.
    e.g. Fluxbox (what i use), KDE, gnome etc etc.

Once u have done this, u need to put the relevent window manager startup line in:

~/.xinitrc
    for example, in my ~/.xinitrc i have:

Code:
    exec fluxbox
    This opens up fluxbox, whenever i type startx in the command line.

However, i tend to use gdm which is a graphical log in.
    I've got that part . I have fluxbox working fine, but I couidln't figure out how to use Rox

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    I use fluxbox with rox but thats only because i couldnt be botherd changing to the one they reccomend which is "oroborox"
    Can you tell me how you did that?

So, Rox needs a window manager running? Do you use the Rox-Filer? I'm confused lol. I was under the impression that Rox was a whole window manager...not just a file manager like nautilus and konqueror.

I read through their website some and Rox Desktop seemed to be a window manager based on Rox-Filer. Was I wrong thinking that?

Thanks for starting to clarify this for me

I'm not very sure of how you get the rox desktop up (Yes I've also got the impression that it is also a desktop). You might want to to to a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    rox<tabkey>
    and see what comes up. Each thing that comes up is a command to launch a program, and hopfully you'll find the command to start the rox-desktop.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I'm not very sure of how you get the rox desktop up (Yes I've also got the impression that it is also a desktop). You might want to to to a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    &#91;rootpass&#93;
    rox<tabkey>
    and see what comes up. Each thing that comes up is a command to launch a program, and hopfully you'll find the command to start the rox-desktop.
    it showed me two options: "rox" and "rox-add-app"

when i type "rox" in a terminal, it opens the file manager. if i type "rox-add-app" it says:

"Usage: rox-add-app <submenu> <command> <name>"

i'm guessing that's to add a program to the menu in rox-filer (the rox file manager).

i'll probably just stop trying to use rox. it seemed simple enough on their website, and it did install rox-filer fine, but i was expecing an actual desktop....so i can try another one besides the ones i've already tried (kde, gnome, xfce4, fluxbox, enlightenment, etc,...). i've heard that rox desktop is really nice and does things differently from the others (not as many menus?? apparently it's much more file manager-based, but i didn't think it was only a file manager).

thanks for the help!

if you come up with any other ideas of how to get it to work, feel free to add to this. there's no hurry, though, i think i'll stick to the one i'm currently using for now (fluxbox).

Linux Engineer

Re: Having trouble loading Rox Desktop

[quote="josolanes"]
    Code:
    use nano or another cli editor to open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment out the font line that you are having this problem with.

#/usr/share/fonts/local

maybe that'll help.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Having trouble loading Rox Desktop

[quote="genesus"]
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    Code:
    use nano or another cli editor to open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment out the font line that you are having this problem with.

#/usr/share/fonts/local

maybe that'll help.
    that sounds like a good idea . i'll try it as soon as i can (in the middle of updating right now).