Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm referring to the character with ASCII code 182.When you use kedit you can get it by pressing AltGr and r.It looks like P facing backwards. When I use vi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Getting a certain character with Gnome

I'm referring to the character with ASCII code 182.When you use
    kedit you can get it by pressing AltGr and r.It looks like P facing backwards.
    When I use vi on KDE I can also get it by pressing AltGR and r.But
    if I run vi on Gnome and I press the same button combination I don't
    get anything.In addition to that if I have a file with these characters and
    display the file using the cat command on a terminal emulator , then
    if I use KDE they display properly but if I use Gnome it shows question
    marks instead.So my question is how to get Gnome to display them properly
    and also to recognize the key combination AltGr and r and produce the
    character with ASCII 182.

Linux Enthusiast
    BUMP !

Linux Guru
    First of all, I should say that there's no such thing as "ASCII code 182". ASCII only defines codepoints from 0 to 127, and the rest is left to whatever extended encoding the system is using. Since you're mentioning 182 and P facing backwards, I assume that you're using the ISO-8859-1 encoding. Could I talk you into switching to UTF-8?

By the way, the character you're referring to is really called a pilcrow.

Anyway, it seems more like a keymapping issue than an issue with KDE or Gnome in themselves. Of course, they both ship with programs to aid keymapping, but I guess that they ship with different default keymaps. I can't speak for you, but on my system, I have two keymaps installed in Gnome: U.S. English and Swedish. In the U.S. English keymap, I can find no way to type a pilcrow. In the Swedish keymap, however, I can type it with AltGr plus the key to the left of the number keys (the one that has the § and ½ characters on Swedish keyboards and the ` and ~ characters on U.S. English keyboards).

Since I don't know what keymap(s) you use, I can't really be more specific. However, the pilcrow character is achieved with the "paragraph" keysym in X, so you could just bind it to any key with xmodmap(1). Or, you could grep through your keymap to see if it's already there somewhere:
    Code:
    xmodmap -pke | grep paragraph

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close