Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed SimplyMEPIS last night, my first impression so far is this is really amazing! It booted into KDE from CD just like Knoppix and then a few mouse clicks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE on SimplyMEPIS

I installed SimplyMEPIS last night, my first impression so far is this is really amazing! It booted into KDE from CD just like Knoppix and then a few mouse clicks later it was installed. By far it's the easiest distro I have installed to date.

One question though - how do I change the screen refresh rate of my monitor?? It's not on right-click, configure desktop .. it's not there in the Nvidia utilities, I've looked and looked and can't see it anywhere!! Does anyone know? I don't really want to modify a conf file to do this as I want to test some different Mhz and see which one looks best.

It's not hard, you must edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or /etc/X11/XF86Conf ) file. There will be a bit that looks like
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "My Monitor"
    HorizSync 31.5-50
    VertRefresh 40-90

EndSection
    Just change the numbers to match your montior
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

OK that will set the horizontal and vertical scanning frequency, but what about the refresh rate in Hertz?

Just Joined!
    another thing u can try is put your mepis cd in and hit F2 (I think it is for more video options) then boot with 2.6 kernel
    and re-install X-server from OS Control Center and reboot to your new resolution