Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gnome 2.6.2 on Mandrake 10.1. I do use the floppy drive sometimes, so mounting it automatically is great, but I don't want the icon on my desktop. I can't drag ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    FM
    Just Joined!

Remove floppy icon from Gnome desktop

Gnome 2.6.2 on Mandrake 10.1. I do use the floppy drive sometimes, so mounting it automatically is great, but I don't want the icon on my desktop. I can't drag it to the trash because I get an error message telling me that I cannot delete a volume icon and if I want to unmount, I must use "Eject" in the right click menu...but "Eject" does not exist in the right click menu. I can't unmount it by right clicking because only root can unmount it, so what I've been doing is opening a terminal as root and unmounting from there, then opening a terminal and remounting if I want to use the drive. There has got to be an easier way, but if there is, I sure can't find it.

This is rather frustrating. All I want to do is access the floppy from Places > Computer in Nautilus instead of having the icon on the desktop, but getting rid of it is like getting rid of visiting relatives.

right click the desktop top and go to configure dekstop, then under device icons, uncheck floppy.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

FM
    Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, that option is not offered. Right click on the desktop gives me only these options: Open Terminal, Create Folder, Create Launcher, Create Document, Clean up by name, Keep Aligned, Use Default Background, Change Desktop Background.

Nothing for device icons.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well with gnome 2.8 and 2.10 as long as you have the correct packages installed (I think it's gnome-applets or gnome-control-center) you can goto:

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor
    and then:

/ -> apps -> nautilus -> desktop ->
    floppy_icon_visible (Un-Checked)

I don't know about your ver of gnome, however