Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Gnome or KDE? why? because im in the near future going to install Gentoo...once i get this issue worked out. and i dont want to emerge Gnome just to see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Recomended GUI?

Gnome or KDE? why? because im in the near future going to install Gentoo...once i get this issue worked out. and i dont want to emerge Gnome just to see if i like it or to find that it sucks....what i use now is KDE and love it...just dont know if Gnome would be a better idea?

Linux Engineer
    I literally changed distros from Red Hat to Debian just so that I can use Gnome 2 but I'm using KDE2.2. No complaints at all about it except maybe Qt2.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Well, I for one do absolutely not like KDE. I can understand that users coming from Windows like it, but I certainly don't. I've tried GNOME and KDE individually in both RH and Gentoo, and in my opinion, KDE seems to more about looks and user-friendlyness than functionality. I'd choose GNOME over KDE any day.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    ok, could i get opinions on how well they perform? not so much as preffer anymore...because i MOSTLY use Terminals....gotta love the speed.....im a speed freak.

Linux Engineer
    If there are things I disagree with Dolda, it has to be desktop environments and C++. I find that KDE has better applications but perhaps experience really is the best solution.

Linux User
    :\ i guess ill just emerge gnome....and hope i like it more otherwise i gotta delete it then emerge KDE...that could take a couple days

does anyone have screenshot of their Gnome....or KDE desktops i could look at so i can see at least what Gnome looks like in general VS KDE?

Linux Engineer

Linux User
    Ahh thanks man you rock....anyone else feel free to give input on how you think both of them perform.

Linux Engineer
    i use both.. i do find that kde has slightly lower video framerates.. maybe my alpha blending theme causes it but i find there is very little difference.

gnome has a nicer login screen (gdm vs kdm).....

Linux Newbie
    I prefer KDE, but only cuz I've been using it since I've had Linux.

But, if you want the best DE, get Fluxbox
    Linux Underground (my own linux website)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast