Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right after all the boot screen (with all the text), before X starts, I see images or just colors of the last thing I was looking at before restarting my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

X-Windows

Right after all the boot screen (with all the text), before X starts, I see images or just colors of the last thing I was looking at before restarting my computer. Is this normal?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    Hmm i assume not....what bootloader are you using and is this seeming to create any problems?

Linux Engineer
    Well, it doesn't create any problems at all. I just wanted to know why this happens since I can't recall this problem in Red Hat. I don't know how the bootloader fits into the picture but I'm running GRUB. I was thinking along the lines of my video card's cache not being cleared and when X starts, this is the reason why I see these images.

Linux User
    well you said durring bootup...i might be mistaken because im not good withbootloaders i justk now how to set them up. but i thought the bootloader ran all that text. but have you tried re configuring your video card? are you using the corect drivers? is this a recent accurance or has this always happened?

Linux Guru
    Now that is one impressive VRAM you have there... =)
    It's very common for video cards to briefly display the last image that was on it when you switch back to a video mode that you had previously been in. That's because there is a slight delay between the point where the video card switches modes and the point where it reports back for being able to process further commands so that the running program can clear the VRAM. I've never seen it persistent over a power loss before though.

Linux Engineer
    So this is normal? It never has crashed my system or anything but I just wanted to know if this happens to anyone else.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, like I said, I've never actually seen it retained over a power loss before, but it probably just means that your VRAM is very good.

Linux Engineer
    i get iit if i use the vesa driver... only on the bottom half of the screen.

i wouldnt worry about it unless its a serious privacy problem or something.

Linux Engineer
    Well, thanks for your input guys. I was just concerned about my new monitor and if it would in anyway mishandle it. Seeming that it won't, I guess this case is now solved.