Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My X server once configured works fine for say 6 months and then refuses to start the remedy for this is that i have to create another linux user, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange X Server Problem

Hi,
    My X server once configured works fine for say 6 months and then refuses to start the remedy for this is that i have to create another linux user, re-configure X and then it works fine for another 6 months then ... the same thing repeats.
    Any help why this happens and whats the solutions.
    I use RedHat 7.3 stable release.
    Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I can't say that I've heard of anything like it before, but what error does it give you when it stops functioning?

Linux Engineer
    does it fix it if u delete any files in ur home directory with names like .xconfig or .xserver or whatever the config files are called?

Just Joined!
    Nope the problem is not resolved even after deleteing the X related files in the home directory. Its just that create another user and have to configure X for him again that works, even that not for too long, it eventually crashes say after a period of 4months or so.
    This is surely a very strange problem.
    Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Is it still crashing? In that case, can you check what error message the X server gives you?

Just Joined!

Starnge X-Server Problem

The error message is too long to remember here, i'll try to post it after copying it on to a text file.
    Thanks