Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have seen some screenshots with these highly customized desktops. Like, instead of the virtual desktops being on the taskbar, you click the backgrounds and drag it to another (like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

desktop customization

I have seen some screenshots with these highly customized desktops. Like, instead of the virtual desktops being on the taskbar, you click the backgrounds and drag it to another (like a 3D cube). I have also seen them whete the taskbar is a sort of semicircle at the bottom-middle of the screen. I just want to know a good website where I can go to to learn about all of this and download the stuff to do it. Also, is KDE or Gnome the most customisable (or some other GUI)

For KDE you might want to check out www.kde-look.org and for Gnome you might want to have a look at www.gnome-look.org. They both have rather nice eye candy
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Guru
    It's really more of a matter of choice, I feel KDE is a bit better for customising. But I've always been a KDE person. Try kde-look and [url=www.gnome-look.org[/url], both are excellent for all sorts of additions.

Just Joined!
    I always see were people have these cool little monitoring things.

Like for your CPU, Battery (laptops), etc. What are the names for things like that in RedHat/Unix?

Probably using an app called superkaramba in KDE or gdesklets in Gnome.

That's a system monitor. The only ones I've ever used were torsmo (background-based, maybe only for Flux) and gkrellm.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...m/gkrellm.html

I'm not a big fan of them...too crowded. And besides, I can always check disk usage with:

Code:
    df -si

Just Joined!
    Muser,

Superkaramba is great! That is exactly what I was looking for. To bad they donít have a lot of people making up good themes etc. Again thank you.

Linux Newbie
    and how can you make windows transparent (often when someone is running terminal in a GUI and only the words are opaque over the desktop background).

If you're using Konsole (KDE's terminal program), then you select the scheme "Transparent (dark background)". You can customize the transparency tint color, opaqueness, and text colors by creating your own color scheme.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Banned
    Can gdesklets be used in KDE?

And if it's not is there a way to switch to GNOME whithout reinstalling, I am running SuSE 9.3 right now. I have never tried GNOME and figure I deserve to at least check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast