Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
ok now in winblows when something crashes i usally hit ctrl+alt+del and i can kill the program thats causing the problem but with linux is diffrent i ahvent found the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok i got real problems

ok now in winblows when something crashes i usally hit ctrl+alt+del and i can kill the program thats causing the problem but with linux is diffrent i ahvent found the break out key except for ctrl+alt+backspc with brings me back to a login screen and then i can restart the system. is there any way to to break out of it like winblows offers.

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Engineer
    in kde: go to 'k' menu, applications, monitoring, kde system guard. now fidn the tab about processes and click the 1 u want and press end. or go to k, applications, monitoring, xkill and u get a crosshair cursor, clcik on the app u want to kill.

in gnome. click the foot, and im not sure where it is but find the thing called gnome system monitor click the pocesses tab and find the thign u want to kill. click it and press kill.

if u started it from a terminal, select the terminal and press ctrl+c

Linux User
    I usually do this in a terminal. go to a terminal type "top" then find your program. Get its PID number. then type kill -9 (PIDnumber) and if you push "h" you can get help on how to use "top"

Linux Engineer
    Yes, "top" is very much like the task manager in Windows. Only difference is that it's doesn't have a GUI interface so like bmx said, you need to find out the PID and manually terminate it from the console.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!

locking up

i run red hat 9 and i cant even get to the main menu. its just frozen only way to get out of it relogin so i dont have termal access or access to anything else for that manner

Linux User
    alt +f2 will get you to a terminal or f3/f4 try it out....but alt f7 should get you back into your X server

Linux Guru
    That should be Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a terminal. Alt+F7 to get back. However, things shouldn't hang like that, you know... Can you move the mouse after it has hung?

Just Joined!
    yeah i can use a mouse but nothing else happens cant open anything the deadktop is frozen

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Guru
    When it happens, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a text terminal, log in and run the following command, to see if any programs have reported an error.
    Code:
    tail ~/.xsession-errors

Just Joined!
    ok i ran it and all i get it

tail: /home/fragment/xsessions: no such file or directory
    ==> standard input <==

and i have to hit ^c to get out of this back to a prompt is there something i should be typeing durring this standard input phase??

thanks again for the help

fragment
    I00I0I

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast