Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I've been playing around with other WMs, and I rather enjoy Enlightenment. I'm having problems with getting Engage working, though. I used Gentoo's emerge to install it. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Engage Problems

Hi all. I've been playing around with other WMs, and I rather enjoy Enlightenment. I'm having problems with getting Engage working, though.

I used Gentoo's emerge to install it. The installation went fine.

When I first tried to run it, I got this error:

Code:
    alex@tux ~ $ engage
    am a system tray :) :)
    You should _really_ create /home/alex/.e/e/applications/all and populate it
    You should _really_ create /home/alex/.e/apps/engage/launcher and populate it
    engage: icon.c:182: od_icon_reload: Assertion `path' failed.
    Aborted
    After making both of those directories (but no population), I run engage again:

Code:
    alex@tux ~ $ engage
    am a system tray :) :)
    engage: icon.c:182: od_icon_reload: Assertion `path' failed.
    Aborted
    I'm kinda lost from here; all of the Enlightenment docs seem to be offline. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful...

Just Joined!

Problem Solved!

Hi!

You got lucky.. I just had the same problem this morning and since looking on the internet didn't help anything i looked at the source code and then strace'd it.

And there i found it:
    Code:
    stat64("/home/lordvan/.e/apps/engage/themes//gentoo.edj", 0xbfe9b1ac) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/usr/share/ecore/../engage/themes//gentoo.edj", 0xbfe9b1ac) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/usr/share/engage/themes//gentoo.edj", 0xbfe9b1ac) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    write(2, "engage: icon.c:182: od_icon_relo"..., 61engage: icon.c:182: od_icon_reload: Assertion `path' failed.
    ) = 61
    after a quick look in /usr/share/engage/themes i found out what was the problem: the filenames were .eet and not .edj so i just linked the filenames and now it works:

Code:
    su
    <type in your root password>
    cd /usr/share/engage/themes
    ln -s none.eet none.edj
    ln -s gentoo.eet gentoo.edj
    Have fun