Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear fellows! I have a pentium 133 MHZ machine with 32MB of RAM. Presently I am using Windows-95 and MSOffice-97 on it. Now I want to move to Linux. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to run OpenOffice on RH8 (KDE) on 32 MB of RAM

Dear fellows!

I have a pentium 133 MHZ machine with 32MB of RAM. Presently I am using Windows-95 and MSOffice-97 on it. Now I want to move to Linux.
    Is it possible to run OpenOffice on RH8 (KDE) on this machine of 32MB RAM. How can I setup it. If it is not possible in RH8, is there any method in older versions. My requirement is to use MS-Office Documents.

Please Help......

Khalid Umer

Linux Enthusiast
    That is pretty reasonable. Just install it, RH says it needs 32 megs of RAM, and it can be forced to install on as little as 8 I think. OpenOffice can be installed when all the rest of RedHat is installed as well. Easy as pie
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    I installed RH8 with KDE and OpenOffice on 64MB RAM but it Office documents opens very slowly. Is there any way to improve the performance.
    The picture/graphics quality of KDE/RH8 is very good as compared to Windows-95 (which runs well on 16MB). Is it possible to improve speed by downgrading the picture/graphics quality equal to as of Windows-95

Please Help.....

Khalid Umer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've a Pentium 75 with 40MB Ram (90GB hard drive attach to it ), and red hat didn't install because of memory (in text mode and graphical mode). Somehow it doesn't mount the swap partition during the setup. So I've installed Debian Woody. OpenOffice worked realy fast (remote), so I advise you to install debian or use a realy large swap space (I use 2gb swap). To my knowledge you can't reduce the display quality (in KDE you can do some settings about them when it first runs but I don't remember them right know) but to run programs faster stop using KDE . In my machine KDE works realy slow (one click takes at least 30 sec to process) however gnome works ok.