Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like these! http://images.deviantart.com/i/1/7/6...ScreenShot.png http://home.comcast.net/~fusilade/desktop012304.jpg http://pwp.netcabo.pt/microft/microft_desktop.jpg How do I do this?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215

    I want a cool desktop!


    Like these!

    http://images.deviantart.com/i/1/7/6...ScreenShot.png
    http://home.comcast.net/~fusilade/desktop012304.jpg
    http://pwp.netcabo.pt/microft/microft_desktop.jpg

    How do I do this?
    MCP | Network+

  2. #2
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    347
    First one is simply KDE with a widget application called Karama running.
    Second screenshot is basic GNOME with widget application called gDesklets.
    And the last one is blackbox with absolutely nothing special to it.

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    First one is simply KDE with a widget application called Karama running.
    Second screenshot is basic GNOME with widget application called gDesklets.
    And the last one is blackbox with absolutely nothing special to it.
    I have gDesklets on mine, what do I do with it? What is widgets? Mine looks so plain, how do I do that stuff? I'm very new to Linux.
    MCP | Network+

  4. #4
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by COKE CAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    First one is simply KDE with a widget application called Karama running.
    Second screenshot is basic GNOME with widget application called gDesklets.
    And the last one is blackbox with absolutely nothing special to it.
    I have gDesklets on mine, what do I do with it? What is widgets? Mine looks so plain, how do I do that stuff? I'm very new to Linux.
    You use it. Go to http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/ and those little visual tools are called widgets, download what you like, and run them using gDesklets.

  5. #5
    Linux Guru bigtomrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,133
    kde-look and gnome-look are your best men for anything to do with customising. Even things that live elsewhere find their way here.

  6. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Quote Originally Posted by COKE CAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    First one is simply KDE with a widget application called Karama running.
    Second screenshot is basic GNOME with widget application called gDesklets.
    And the last one is blackbox with absolutely nothing special to it.
    I have gDesklets on mine, what do I do with it? What is widgets? Mine looks so plain, how do I do that stuff? I'm very new to Linux.
    You use it. Go to http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/ and those little visual tools are called widgets, download what you like, and run them using gDesklets.
    Are gdesklets only for gnome?
    MCP | Network+

  7. #7
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    Gnome (gdesklets) and any distro with the gnome libs installed. I have them installed with my Xfce DE.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  8. #8
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    I personally like Fluxbox the best, but you might like one of the others better. Test them all then make your own decision.

    Good luck with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •