Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright - I like WindowMaker and how simple and fast it is - it's definately more suited to how I function when utilizing my system... My problem is that I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

WindowMaker questions

Alright - I like WindowMaker and how simple and fast it is - it's definately more suited to how I function when utilizing my system... My problem is that I'm not sure how to load a graphical file manager... for example when I log into KDE I have a desktop - not worried about that - I am able to browse my folders in a graphical manner... I'm getting more and more when I prefer the commandline for most things but I REALLY ENJOY graphical file management -- The kicker here is that i don't want KDE's Kicker, or Gnomes bars and menus, I HATE KONQUEROR - I like nautilus - are there others?

Cole

PS - What would a dockapp be that would replace kinternet? what about something for gnome that will replace Kinternet?

Linux Guru
    Not that I want to look "elite" or anything, but you really should learn to use the shell instead. A while ago, I discovered (once again) how fundamentally more powerful it is. I had a rather great number of episodes of a TV series, all of which the file names were different (not that I had downloaded it from P2P or anything...), and I wanted to fix it. In a file manager, it would have taken me a _long_ time to rename all the episodes, while in the shell, I just had to issue this one command:
    Code:
    for file in [Ss]eries*.avi; do mv "$file" "Series - $(echo "$file" | sed 's/^.*\([0-9][0-9]\).*$/\1/').avi"; done
    Whether or not it's easier than using a GUI file manager can be discussed, of course, but at least it's far less tedious.

Anyway, the only other one that I know of is gmc; you might want to check it out, at least.

Linux Newbie

gmc

I'm assuming that's midnight commander with GTK frontend!?!?

Cole

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I think so.

Linux Newbie

GMC

to make it work - get it installed - run GMC & at a terminal - logout and log back in and BAM! it'll automatically load for you - as far as my other questions wmppp is a good dockApp to replace kinternet - I actually just issue ifup ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 it's just as easy I think there's a configuration file that will allow you to set the two buttons to perorm these tasks - not sure.... Only other question is copy and paste - It seems that WindowMaker doesn't suport ctrl+c and ctrl+v natively... is there a dockapp or something that will allow this within the wMaker environment?

Cole