Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to d/l themes for gaim. Not smiley themes, but themes that modify the appearance of gaim. If not, maybe it is possible to edit the icon that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Themes for Gaim?

Is it possible to d/l themes for gaim. Not smiley themes, but themes that modify the appearance of gaim.

If not, maybe it is possible to edit the icon that displays in the system tray when gaim is running?

I don't believe this is possible, I searched through 2 pages of search results from freshmeat.net for gaim and there wasn't a single theme, also gaim doesn't have any kind of theme selection ability like mozilla or limewire, it's usually easilly found in the main menubar.

The look of gaim is pretty much standard, it's the same gui look as ethereal, I know this is probably the reason you want to change it, but i'm just saying that the look of it isn't specifically gaim itself, so it would be possible to change it but not without changing everything else that uses the same thing if you see what I mean.

you can theme gaim, but by applying a gtk2 theme instead of a gaim theme.

This is how i have themed my gaim and also my xchat and firefox, since the 3 apps all use gtk, they all look similar

if you find a GTK theme (you will probably need gtk 2.x theme) run gaim with:

Code:
    GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/theme/gtkrc gaim
    that's assuming the theme is called "theme" and is located within /usr/share/themes.

This should load up gaim using the new GTK theme.

Also, what you can do in order to make all GTK based applications use this theme is add:

Code:
    export GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/theme/gtkrc
    to your ~/.bashrc file. then you can open apps normally e.g.:
    Code:
    gaim
    and the theme will be set to "theme"

Anything else u need, gimme a shout, and i'll see what i can do.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I wasn't aware that you could theme specific applications with gtk, I knew that gtk as a whole could be themed but not on a program by program basis, although it does make sense now with the use of the environment variable

Just Joined!
    I have a much simpler solution for you if you just want to change the graphics of gaim.

/usr/share/pixmap/gaim has all directories with png and gif that are the graphics of gaim.

in status you have an icon for each protocol online buton so just replace it by another one made by you or downloaded from somewhere and make sure to keep the name.

I personaly change the buton of MSN to a much nicer one, but I had to logout and logback in for the change to take effect

reup

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    you can theme gaim, but by applying a gtk2 theme instead of a gaim theme.

This is how i have themed my gaim and also my xchat and firefox, since the 3 apps all use gtk, they all look similar

if you find a GTK theme (you will probably need gtk 2.x theme) run gaim with:

Code:
    GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/theme/gtkrc gaim
    that's assuming the theme is called "theme" and is located within /usr/share/themes.

This should load up gaim using the new GTK theme.

Also, what you can do in order to make all GTK based applications use this theme is add:

Code:
    export GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/theme/gtkrc
    to your ~/.bashrc file. then you can open apps normally e.g.:
    Code:
    gaim
    and the theme will be set to "theme"

Anything else u need, gimme a shout, and i'll see what i can do.

i know this is a linux forum...but what would i need to do to theme Windows applications using GTK?