Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok to fully understand my situation Ill start from the top. I installed CentOS 4.0 but only had the 1st install disk. To make this work I deselected all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE problem

Ok to fully understand my situation Ill start from the top. I installed CentOS 4.0 but only had the 1st install disk. To make this work I deselected all the extra packages with the exception of text based internet. So all I have on CentOS is the command line prompt . I was proud of myself to get this far. I then configured it for my internet using netconfig and crosschecked with ifconfig. Its pinging and tracerouting (which by the way I was wondering what the kill signal was for pinging etc ) anyways. So I now have internet but all I have is command prompt line linux. I would like to get and install KDE. I searched for 3 hours on the internet trying to figure out how....please Im clueless on this..If someone can give me step by step, cd to this file, yum install this pathname...etc...because Ive tried reading tutorials etc and I cant figure it out...PLEASE someone help me find a CentOS compliant KDE and help me get it configured.

Many thanks.

what you need is :-
    1) the X windowing system
    2) a window manager / GUI environment

So, what you will need to do is make sure that you have both of these installed. Try entering startx (you'll need to be logged on as root or have done a "su -"). If that works, then it shows that you have X installed. Press Ctrl Alt BackSpace to kill X, and then try entering kdm . If this gives you a gui (graphical) logon screen, then you've probably also got KDE.

If not, then you need to install them. See if you can, with your distro, boot from the CDROM that you installed with and upgrade your installation to include KDE and X. I must admit that I'm not familiar with CentOS 4.0, so I can't be too precise.

By the way, why did you only install from CD 1?

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)", if CentOS uses Yum which I think it does since RHEL does.

Just Joined!
    i only installed from disk 1 because thats all i had anyways, athing yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" ill go try this tonight, i appreciate it. and no i know I dont have xwindows or kde thats why I need to get them because i deselected all the packages except for graphical internet on install. this was for a quick and 1 disk download. my friend only had disk 1 haha. anyways, hopefull this will work. will the yum groupinstall command automatically install it so i can just try running KDE after It finishes assuming yum finds it?

yes, it should automatically make your boot runlevel 5 (graphical) rather than 3 (text only), as defined in /etc/inittab .

point to note, you need broadband for this yum update to work. If you only have a dial up modem, you could end up online for a day or so.

Other way around it, if you don't have broadband, is to purchase a full set of CDs (try entering cheap and linux into a search engine (eg. google) and see what is available to you in your country).

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    i tried the group update and it told me that i lacked one of the public keys or whatever? it was an rpm file and i managed to get the file but now its sitting in my main folder and i need to somehow activate it or install it or somthing...any ideas?

Linux Guru
    If you're just looking to install the rpm then try
    Code:
    rpm -i $rpmfilename
    substituing $rpmfilename with the actual filename. You will need to do this as root, or su to root from the CLI.

Just Joined!
    all i needed to know thanks man