Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why do fonts look bad when you disable anti-aliasing in X, especially for GTK2/GNOME and KDE applications? In Windows, fonts still look okay even when anti-aliasing (font-smothing) is disabled. However, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

fonts look bad when anti-aliasing disabled

Why do fonts look bad when you disable anti-aliasing in X, especially for GTK2/GNOME and KDE applications? In Windows, fonts still look okay even when anti-aliasing (font-smothing) is disabled. However, an XLib compiled without Xft support renders fonts better than disabling anti-aliasing, because an XLib compiled with Xft doesn't seem to disable anti-aliasing correctly.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, user222 - fonts have always looked bad for me in Windows and Linux if not anti-aliased, so I can't help with this but perhaps there's a fonts guru here that will check in with more info. Fonts issues seem to be a common complaint under Linux.

Linux Newbie
    comparison:

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Ouch! That is bad. Mine aren't quite that bad, but they are close.

I've found that the font face and point size used makes a difference, and the screen resolution plays a factor in in overall appearance. Still, they aren't acceptable without anti-aliasing for me.