Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two boxes. One is a windows xp desktop, the other is a fedora core 2 server. I have installed vnc on both. I CAN connect both ways. Meaning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues connecting win xp to fedora box.

I have two boxes. One is a windows xp desktop, the other is a fedora core 2 server. I have installed vnc on both. I CAN connect both ways. Meaning I can connect to the fedora box from the windows box and visa versa. The issue I am having is that when I connect to the fedora box from the windows box I get a grey desktop with a terminal (like in a regular ssh session ie. putty) and a option box that allows me to trade clipboards between the boxes.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to connect to my fedora box and get my Gnome GUI to come up? I have found hints to a xinitrc file but I am not familar with linux enough to know what to do with it. I have read the man files on it but I don't know how to relate that to the vnc server.

Any help would be great appreciated. I want to be able to connect to it because I want to learn linux via this medium.

Linux Guru
    Can you post the contents of your ~/.vnc/xtartup (The xtartup file inside your hidden vnc directory in your home directory. There should be a reference to startkde in there. Post it up and we can have a look.

Just Joined!
    #!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    twm &

Thank you for your response. I hope this is what you need. Let me know if you need anything else.

Linux Guru
    Try making a backup of the xtartup file and then replace the contents with
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh 

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources 
    xsetroot -solid grey 
    vncconfig -iconic & 
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & 
    startkde &
    Though I have heard that kde/gnome aren't as good an option as one of the lightweight wm's. See how you get on with that.