Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
could someone please point me towards a more easily understood tutorial on xinitrc than the howto? i read the howto and the man page and still couldn't figure out how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

xinitrc

could someone please point me towards a more easily understood tutorial on xinitrc than the howto? i read the howto and the man page and still couldn't figure out how to write an ~/.xinitrc file that would serve my purpose...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

What do you want to do?

Linux Engineer
    well, my first goal is to get X to run Gnome w/o having to start GDM every time (i don't want an X server running all of the time) and then i would like to know how to modify it after that to bend it to my will as i install more software and get more stuff working...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

To keep X from starting automatically: edit your /etc/rc.conf and comment out the line DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm. Then set XSESSION=gnome.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    that was simple enough... if i had thought to check there, i would have found a large comment section explaining that exact env var..... so many things to learn.. so many new ways to acquire a headache..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    that was simple enough... if i had thought to check there, i would have found a large comment section explaining that exact env var..... so many things to learn.. so many new ways to acquire a headache..

the best way I've found is to start beating your head on your desk out of frustration... in hopes you'll pass out and things will magiclay work when you come-to

Linux Engineer
    there've been times that i've wanted to do that.. like now.. i emerged kde and now i can't find *any* of the binaries in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/X11R6/bin, /bin, or /sbin... any ideas where in the world my kde went??? (i spent two days compiling it and don't want to think that i have to go through that again...)

To start kde you can just use startx, after you set the XSESSION=kde in your xinitrc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    once again, the answer is so simple it is overlooked... thanks, sarumont

Btw, KDE gets in /opt. If I recall correctly that is

You could do a "whereis startkde" to find out where the binary is, aslong as the binary is in your PATH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast