Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to copy my whole Windows font dir to Linux, also overwrite excising fonts with the copy from Windows. Since I use /usr/share/fonts and most of them are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Windows Fonts

I would like to copy my whole Windows font dir to Linux, also overwrite excising fonts with the copy from Windows. Since I use /usr/share/fonts and most of them are TTF, would this work?
    Code:
    # cp /Windows/Fonts/*.ttf /usr/share/fonts/TTF
    My Windows partition mount point is /Windows, and I have /usr/share/fonts/TTF specified in my xorg.conf.
    Would this work? Any permission problems or anything like that?

OR

Would it be possible to simply do the following
    Code:
    # mkdir /usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts && cp /Windows/Fonts/*.ttf /usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts
    Then add /usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts to xorg.conf using FontPath option. The only problem that I am having thinking about this is say I have Verdana.ttf in both /usr/share/fonts/TTF and /usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts, which one would be used? Is there a way to set priority, say when a browser is parsing a page that needs Verdana.ttf for X to first look in WindowsFonts dir before all others?
    Also, same idea but adding /Windows/Fonts/ to xorg.conf directly but the above issue still stays with priority.

Anyway, any ideas?

I've always used Komander in KDE. This allows you to double click on a font file and then install it.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    I've always used Komander in KDE. This allows you to double click on a font file and then install it.

Nerderello
    Well this is on one of mine "creative" computers, this is where I do all my graphic editing and web designing and what not and have an extensive collection of good fonts. We are talking about hundreds, so installing them one by one is not an option. That is besides the point that I am suing GNOME. Thanks for the tip though..