Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys i am a total linux noob. I was just about to get it when the computer that i was about to load it on died. Anyway i just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can u have multiple gui's per machine?

hey guys i am a total linux noob. I was just about to get it when the computer that i was about to load it on died. Anyway i just decided i am going to buy a second drive and just install linux on that drive. Anyway i just had the little question on my mind of "can u have mutltiple guis installed on one computer?" Sorry if this sounds stupid guys, but thanks i appreciate the help.

If you mean windows managers like KDE and gnome, then yeah, you can have more than one on your machine. You can only use one at a time tho...
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    ya thats what i mean, funny u mentioned those becuase those are the exact two i want. Anyway so is there just like a command or setting that lets u switch from one to the other?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Which distro are you installing?
    Not all distros have the same command for changing WM/DE's.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    im going to use vector linux. Others have told me it rocks and from what i have read and seen it looks great.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    If you mean windows managers like KDE and gnome, then yeah, you can have more than one on your machine. You can only use one at a time tho...
    I can start multiple new X sessions from KDE, and I get my choice of WM.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

You can have multiple installed at once. I believe that it is possible to have one or two open at a time, but I don't know how.

Personally, I boot into the commandline, then start up X. So I can access change my WM very easily:

Code:
    echo "exec startfluxbox" > ~/.xinitrc
    startx
    That would startup Fluxbox. Or "startkde" for KDE. Or "enlightenment" for Enlightenment 17, or "e16" for Enlightenment 16.

It's simple, fun, and easy!

Linux Newbie
    When you're in KDE you can start a new X session running KDM, allowing you to choose your WM there. I've only tried running two at once, but I see no reason it wouldn't take several more (performance would be questionable however).
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

From KDE 3.3 onwards you can choose start new session on the Kmenu, and from 3.4 by right clicking on the desktop and choosing the same. Usually, for logging into one at a time when it comes to login time (assuming you don't use autologin) you should be able to select from your DM (KDM / GDM - Referring to the display manager which manages you Xsession for you)

oz
    forum.guy
    You can use Xnest to run several different window managers at one time if you want. It works by allowing you to nest additional Xsessions inside of already running Xsessions. I think Xephr might also do this.