Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need a little help. I'm new to the Linux world, but I managed to get Slackware working graphically after hours of swearing looking for the XConfig file (used to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X isn't starting up normally after upgrade

I need a little help. I'm new to the Linux world, but I managed to get Slackware working graphically after hours of swearing looking for the XConfig file (used to RH and it's graphicalness). Anyways, somewhere (I forget where) it said that if X is installed in X11 then it's 3.5 or before, if it's in X11R6 then it's a newer version, it also said I should upgrade (it was installed in X11, no X11R6 directory). So I upgraded, configured X again, but now when I do startx it just shows a green background with three terminal style windows and an analog clock. One is titled login and I forget what the other two are. Anyways, what I was wondering was, why? Do I have to reinstall Gnome? I have 67 packages for Gnome (wasn't sure what they did so dl'ed all) and already installed ~20. But I don't want to install 67 programs and find out that's not what was needed.

Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    What happens if you run this instead?
    Code:
    xinit $(which gnome-session)

Just Joined!
    Yup, it works now, thanks you very much

Linux Guru
    In that case, put the following in your ~/.xinitrc, and you can just run startx in the future.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec gnome-session