Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello ! I think of using Konstruct for upgrading my KDE 3.3.2 to KDE 3.4.2 on my beloved french Mandriva 2005 LE. I have read the readme but since i'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Using konstruct to install KDE 3.4.2, plenty of questions :)

Hello !
    I think of using Konstruct for upgrading my KDE 3.3.2 to KDE 3.4.2 on my beloved french Mandriva 2005 LE.
    I have read the readme but since i'm still new to the Linux world (I made the switch from MS-windows four months ago), I'll be more reassured if I ask for a confirmation of my guesses
    I have plenty of questions, so I have tried to sort them a bit. After all, each of them is linked to the other. I have searched forums and google for most of them, so the remaining ones are the questions for which I found no crystal-clear answers (well, clear enough for a half-newb !)

Thanks a lot if you can reply to those questions, or a part of those

--------------
    1/ The lazy solution
    --------------

First, in order to avoid hard work if possible : would you know of a repository for Mandriva 2005 LE RPMs for KDE 3.4.2 ?
    I searched a bit without success. There was a thread but the links given in it are dead links, alas.
    "Thacs" repository might have looked good, but for the two apps I tried to install from its RPMs, it failed, so I suspect the builder of those RPMs had some stuff that I don't have myself, which makes it unproper for me.
    Without RPMs, i'll do it the konstruct way

--------------
    2/ Overlapping KDEs ?
    --------------

If I install KDE into /home/sabin/kde3.4.2 (yeah, ~ is /home/sabin/ ) with konstruct, as default setting does, does that mean that I will have the choice, on startup, between KDE 3.3.2 and 3.4.2 ?

Or can there only be one official KDE version per system, the previous version, though not deleted, being "temporarily forgotten" ? Having to define KDEHOME after konstruct ran makes me think this. But I don't mind a confirmation just in order to be careful

--------------
    3/ The quest for KDEHOME
    --------------

The readme says :
    «Setting KDEHOME too, e.g. "export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest", will tell KDE to save your settings to this directory and leave default ~/.kde directory unaffected.»
    -> So ~/.kde, is the official actual KDEHOME so far ? (that folder actually exists for me, indeed)

--------------
    4/ Uninstalling that 3.4.2 and declaring previous paths
    --------------

If I want to uninstall that KDE 3.4.2 version, what must I do ?

There will be a step about restoring previous official dirs, shall there ?
    I'm a bit worried because for some of the official dirs I can't find their present location. The readme says to declare, after konstruct ran, QTDIR, KDEDIR, KDEDIRS. But when I run this into the adress bar of Konqueror, only QTDIR works, and for KDEDIR and KDEDIRS that says "impossible to run specified command" (the actual message being in french, it's a translation !).
    So I cannot know where they are at the present time, which means that once I have declared their new location, I don't know how I could, in reverse, get them to be declared to their previous location.

--------------
    5/ if I wish to overwrite KDE 3.3.2
    --------------

If to the contrary i'm wholly satisfied with my new 3.4.2, I will probably want to make this 3.4.2 the only KDE on my desktop, so that things are more simple. Thus I would like to :
    - uninstall that 3.4.2 from its ~/kde3.4.2 folder
    - install it again, but this time right over version 3.3.2.

Is it possible to install 3.4.2 over 3.3.2 using konstruct ?
    That's probably by changing the installation folder at konstruct startup, but I found no mention on how to do it

Or can two KDE versions coexist peacefully ? You know, as a windows user, having two different versions of a program coexisting is risky and strongly unadvised, but after all, maybe that might be different in Linux...

--------------
    6/ Localization questions
    --------------

The readme says :
    «If you want to have KDE localized into your native language, look into the i18n/ directory, change to your language directory and start "make install".»
    -> Does that have to be done before, or after running konstruct ?

There's a Koffice mention.
    Erm, I have Open Office preinstalled on my 2005 LE, but Open Office is NOT Koffice, so I won't need to install localization for Koffice too, isn't it ?
    (unless I'm mistaken, Koffice is a KDE port of Open Office : once again, i think I've got the reply already, i'm just being careful )

--------------
    7/ How long would it take ?
    --------------

Would you know how long, in average, konstruct will take to download, compile and install everything, if I chose the kde/everything option ? One hour ? Five hours ? One month ?
    (for info, I have one gig of fast RAM, a P4 2.4Ghz, plenty of space on my hard disk, and an 8MB internet connexion)

Those were plenty of questions, wasn't it ? Sorry if i'm a bother !
    Thanks a lot if you can reply to those questions, or a part of those

Are you doing this as a learning experience or just to get the latest KDE? If it's just to get the latest KDE try looking into Thac's urpmi repository instead, he always keeps up to date with KDe releases - And building KDE can take a day and a half so it may be a lot quicker to do it that way.

Sorry I know that's not much of an answer just how I've run through it in the past.

I tried Thacs, finally.

I just finished reinstalling my whole system after an unavoidable format.
    It's luck that care made me backup every personal information/config/ and I had copied my personal home folders to another partition "just in case".

<_<

<_<

Mind you, I don't blame the person who made those RPMs. I blame myself for using them and trying the adventure while, most obviously, I didn't have enough knoweledge yet to repair the damage done by a somewhere-perverted installation.
    If you guys are curious, i'll give the details about how many things got damaged and stopped working or worked haywire, but the list is long.

So, back to Konstruct, now

Jeebs sorry! I know Thac doesn't build to the strict Mandriva specs, but for himself but I actually was able to use the 3.4.0 upgrade without much trouble (it was a bit scary though). Sorry for your system trouble! I was just trying to save you the 36 hour compile!

Nah, it's no problem, don't you worry about that. There's no way to really learn but through mistakes, or at least that's true for computers. Let's say I learned something new yesterday

Now, what I'm wondering is "will it bug again while using konstruct"

But my ISP brought me some great news : within two days, i'll have to stand two weeks without internet access because of "works on my network line", whatever it may be. I'll try Konstruct when my connexion will be back for sure, I wouldn't want to have to reinstall everything without an internet access on hand.

I know that Mandriva have some customisations, with particular reference to menu items. It may crap out again if you don't use official packages.