Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have SuSE 8.2 up and running well, since I gave up on trying to install radeon 9800 drivers. My palm pilot works, Ximian Evolution kicks butt, and overall I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bizarre galeon problem

I have SuSE 8.2 up and running well, since I gave up on trying to install radeon 9800 drivers.

My palm pilot works, Ximian Evolution kicks butt, and overall I am satisfied with the software packages.

However, there remains one problem.

I usually use Konqueror as a web browser, but every other program that has a link to the net (like news feeds from Ximian for example) uses Galeon.

This would be fine, but when I try to load Galeon, it keeps reloading itself. Infinite numbers of times. If I wait and watch, it spawns copy after copy. I can close them all by clicking repeatdely on the close window button. When I click on a link that tries to load Galeon, nothing happens.

I installed with the installation disk from SuSE 8.2 that checked all the dependencies, seemed ok. This is a re-install, and I know with previous installations it did indeed work.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your guys help, it makes a difference

Mike

Linux Guru
    If you try to click a link, wait a bit, and then run "tail ~/.xsession-errors", does it report anything that looks related?

Just Joined!
    So far there's "kwin: X_GetProperty(0x800): BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)"

Hang on let me see if I can get more...

These came after several iterations of Galeon respawning:

DWARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) \x09
    Major opcode: \x0e
    WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) \x09
    WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) \x09
    aschueler@linux:~> kwin: X_GetProperty(0x800): BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Does this mean anything?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ignore those last two lines -- copied by accident a typo

Linux Guru
    They don't have with galeon to do, unfortunately.
    I can't say that I know how to get galeon working; you might want to try another browser, like Mozilla or Epiphany.

Just Joined!
    I have been using KDE, I actually prefer it over Galeon.

Mozilla doesnt work at all

Any idea how to change to default browser that comes up when I click on links in programs? If I can make it KDE, no problem. I tried the gnome configure utility -- set it to KDE, but this still comes up. There seems to be no option in Ximian for changing the default browser.

Just Joined!
    Make the Konqueror.

Dont know where my brain is today

Linux Guru
    Try putting the following in your ~/.htmlviewrc.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec konqueror

Just Joined!
    Hmmm...don't seem to have that file.

Maybe because I am running SuSE?

For what it's worth, I think I will change to RedHat when the new version comes out, apparently early next year.

Linux Guru
    In that case, create the file. I'm not sure that SuSE uses htmlview, but I would be a bit surprised otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast