Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm having problems getting X to load the modules for my 3dfx voodoo3 board.. whenever i start X it gives this message: Code: (==) Using config file "/etc/X11/XF86Config" using vt7 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

3dfx Voodoo3 DRI problems

i'm having problems getting X to load the modules for my 3dfx voodoo3 board.. whenever i start X it gives this message:
    Code:
    (==) Using config file "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
    using vt7
    modprobe: can't locate module agpgart
    [drm] failed to load kernel module agpgart
    modprobe: can't locate module tdfx
    [drm] failed to load kernel module tdfx
    (EE) TDFX(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI
    any ideas on how to get this to work? if you need me to post my XF86Config, i will....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

you need the module "agpgart". This could be build into the kernel, or as a module.

just do this in your kernel source: make menuconfig ( scroll down and find it and mark it as an M ) && make modules && make modules_install and you should be fine.

Make shure its the kernelsoucre of the kernel you're running atm

Linux Engineer
    now if only i could figure out what kernel option agpgart refers to....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    ok.. i tried compiling agpgart into the kernel.. still got the same message about not being able to find the module and DRI failing.. think it could make a difference whether it was a module or built in to my kernel??

Linux Engineer
    i finally got it working... don't remember exactly what it was i did, though.... (and i wonder if anyone things i'm nuts for replying to my own problem 3 times in a row )