Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have DRI running perfectly , with no problems whatsoever, on a machine with VIA Prosavage 8 (P4M266) onboard video hardware... And I still have ridiculously pokey graphics. To play ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting better OpenGL performance from Prosavage hardware

I have DRI running perfectly, with no problems whatsoever, on a machine with VIA Prosavage 8 (P4M266) onboard video hardware... And I still have ridiculously pokey graphics. To play BZFlag, I have to shrink the window drastically and turn off all texturing and effects. Tuxracer is almost unplayable, and even OpenGL screensavers are sloooowwwwww.

Now, to assure you that DRI works:

Code:
    [proteus@localhost ~]$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    But I still get crappy performance from glxgears:

Code:
    [proteus@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    624 frames in 5.0 seconds = 124.800 FPS
    762 frames in 5.0 seconds = 152.400 FPS
    765 frames in 5.0 seconds = 153.000 FPS
    772 frames in 5.0 seconds = 154.400 FPS
    769 frames in 5.0 seconds = 153.800 FPS
    That's with 24-bit color. I get a bit under twice as much with 16-bit color, but I don't like to use 16-bit, since it turns grey into pink; and even with 16-bit color, performance in OpenGL games is craporrific.

Now, I've heard that people using Intel's onboard graphics often get about 500 FPS with 24-bit color... Is there a way to get speeds anywhere near that with Prosavage, using the open-source drivers from the Mesa and DRI projects? Or does Intel just make better onboard graphics hardware?

Also, does anyone know how VIA's own Prosavage drivers (recently open-sourced and available for XFree86) fair, compared to DRI's drivers? And has anyone gotten them working on XOrg, or is that impossible?

Just Joined!
    Good question. One of my computers using Prosavage. So if anybody knows about this...I would be interested also.

I would like to say that although Tuxracer plays like crap on there, Frozen Bubbles is still awesome.