Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm currently using xfce4, but am thinking about trying rox desktop again (i never got it to run last time). i have a few questions about it though... i heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

rox desktop...general questoins

i'm currently using xfce4, but am thinking about trying rox desktop again (i never got it to run last time). i have a few questions about it though...

i heard that you can simply drag a program to a folder and run it, and it will download what's necessary to run it as the program is running. would this interfere with my normal package manager? would it work together with it (in the sense that, if i "install" something with rox will my package manager see it too)? how lightweight is rox? is it nearly as fast (faster?) than xfce4? is it quicker than gnome? how hard is it to install (usually)? i plan on using portage to do the install.

who here uses it (or has used it) and what are your thoughts on it? it sounds like a completely different way to use your computer (which i'm interested in), but how hard was it to learn to use and do you think it was worth it?

i know it's a lot of questions, but i'm interested in giving rox desktop a try and would like to get an idea of what i'm getting myself into ahead of time

Linux Enthusiast
    *bump*
    so i tried installing it in gentoo and still had problems getting it to even run...

my graphics card drivers work fine, my xorg.conf is set up properly (xfce4 works perfectly), and everything else seems fine

I've never used it, but I can tell from reading about "Zero Install" that it's completely independent from any package manager. Software which has been downloaded/installed with "Zero Install" won't see and won't depend on any other package manager and vice versa.

I do like using the Rox filer with a plain IceWM window manager, but obviously this isn't what you're asking about.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    I've never used it, but I can tell from reading about "Zero Install" that it's completely independent from any package manager. Software which has been downloaded/installed with "Zero Install" won't see and won't depend on any other package manager and vice versa.

I do like using the Rox filer with a plain IceWM window manager, but obviously this isn't what you're asking about.
    thanks for the info

i had a feeling it would be independent of the package manager (and was kind of afraid of that). i really like using portage and don't want to jepordize my system in anyway by having two separate package managers.

hmm...i might look into the rox filer some time. i'm pretty happy with the xfce file manager now though, but might give rox-filer a try

so, from what i'm kind of getting from rox is that it may be excellent to use on a Linux From Scratch system (as the packages are managed by zero install), but might not be ideal with a normal distro....or so it seems to me.

thanks for the info...i was just curious about it as the unusual features it has (especially zero install) have had me somewhat interested in it ever since i heard about it a couple of months ago. i guess i'll just wait and try it on a testing distro in the future

Portage is actually set up to allow you to tell it you've already installed something:

Section 5c at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=3&chap=5