Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i installed slackware 10.1. After the installation, i scanned through the window managers to find the best one. I came up with XFCE being the best. I have one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

XFCE newbie

ok, i installed slackware 10.1.
    After the installation, i scanned through the window managers to find the best one. I came up with XFCE being the best.
    I have one question though...
    when i installed XFCE in mandrake 10.0, XFCE looked crappy. what has xfce in slackware got that i must have missed out on getting in the downlaod version off the net?

i hope that made sense

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

oz
    forum.guy
    If the xfce versions were the same, there really shouldn't be anything different, other than perhaps some default configurations that were set by the packagers.

There are various XFCE themes, plugins, artwork, utilities and such that you can download separately. Maybe Slackware includes those?

possibly there are extra themes in slackware's version of xfce.
    i am not prepared to reinstall mandrake on one of my computers to find that out as i am currently installing slackware on another pc of mine.

BTW, does anybody know if there is a modification for xfce to get icons on the desktop?
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    BTW, does anybody know if there is a modification for xfce to get icons on the desktop?
    I haven't tried it out myself, but...

http://www.myoo.de/xfce/index.php/Ti...esktop_icons_?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    possibly there are extra themes in slackware's version of xfce.
    i am not prepared to reinstall mandrake on one of my computers to find that out as i am currently installing slackware on another pc of mine.

Install the ROX desktop, kill the xfce desktop, fire up the rox one, and you'll be able to put icons on your desktop with Xfce .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **