Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone, i an just new to linux and i have redhat 9 . i am having a problem setting the resolution on the diplay setting. It tells me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 9 Screen Resolution

hi everyone,
    i an just new to linux and i have redhat 9. i am having a problem setting the resolution on the diplay setting. It tells me to reboot which i do and when it comes back the resolution remains the same as it was before(800x600) but what i want to set it to is 1024x768.

keywords: Redhat, resolution screen, save, settings, configure

Linux Guru
    1) "su" to root.
    2) open your /etc/X11/XF86Config in a text editor
    3) look for a section called screens, which will have a line like
    Code:
    Mode"800x600" "600x480"
    change it to
    Code:
    Mode "1024x768" "800x600"
    4) save the file
    5) restart X (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE)
    6) You should now have your new resolution, if you dont, use "CTRL-ALT-+" and "CTRL-ALT--"(ctrl, alt, and minus) to cycle though available resolutions)

Jason

Just Joined!

"su" ?

Hi thanks for the advise but what does "su" stand for . very new to this and trying to get to the differences from windows. good to see a different idea from the monopoly that windows has.

thanks

flw
    Linux Engineer
    su is short for super user which is equal to root level authority.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Engineer
    i thought 'su' was short for "switch user"... just the most common use is to switch to root...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Code:
    su - change user ID or become super-user
    The man page doesn't say what 'su' stands for, but I would be inclinded to guess switch user, as well, because you can use it to become *any* user on the system (i.e.-su bob to become bob).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Just out of curiosity, do I use ctrl, alt, and shift =/+ key to get to the plus sign, or the plus sign on the numeric pad?[img]confuzzled[/img] (OK how do I upload a custom .gif?)

the +/- are the ones on the numeric pad
    and i dont think you can upload custom gifs. if you want them they have to be on the net already and then usin the [img][/img] tags with the url in between i believe. if im wrong someone please correct me
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Thanks on both parts, big_k105.

On the res part, that didn't work for me in RH 7, but I can't input my numeric paswords via the numpad, either. The led comes on, but it doesn't accept the input. (possibly related prob?) I've edited the xf86config file, but still stuck in 640x480, and most of the panels are taller than that.

I started to post a new topic for this one, but just as well put it here:
    I can only log in as root in RH7. I added my usual username/password combo during setup, but it won't allow login. My regular users password is 4 char. Is this below the allowed parameters, and how do I change those parameters? I have used 'failsafe' in MDK 9.1 to access this, but it just pops up a console window in RH, with none of the commands I am used to found when I try to use them.