Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not sure if this really is a problem but I wanted to post this to see if anyone has had the same problem. I currently changed my resolution to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

LCD monitor .. somewhat of a problem

I'm not sure if this really is a problem but I wanted to post this to see if anyone has had the same problem.

I currently changed my resolution to 1280x1024. Right before X starts and the display manager is loaded, there is a small period of time where I see these grey/black dot screen. Here, it almost seems like there are magnetic waves fluctuating on the screen. As soon as the display manager loads, everything is fine. It's just that 2 to 4 seconds within that screen it does that.

It also does it when I am about to log out of my desktop environment. As soon as I try and leave KDE, the log out manager prompts me what I want to do. At this time, the background gets shaded and again, it's here that I see the same thing I saw previously in that grey/black dot screen.

Does anyone know why this happens? The exact samething happens when I try loggin out of Windows when the background also gets shaded.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    somethign to do with the lcd pixels swapping from color to b&w i guess. Its NOT magnetic as lcd's dont have any form of magnet in them

Linux Engineer
    I wonder, is this safe? That's really the important thing here.

Does your OS boots straight into the GUI? I have a Freebsd box that I use as a server and it is running X in case I need it. When I start X manually I get something like that for a second or two.

Do you have the same problem with a crt? Which windows are you using? I have seen it a lot with Xp that it get shaded/B&W on log out. I think this is by design.
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Engineer
    Both OS boots into GUI. As for XP getting shaded, yes, that is the default behavior. What I'm experiencing is more like when you get bad reception on a TV.

Just Joined!
    i belive all LCD moniotors do that, and it is perfectly normal. on every system that i have install linux on and that had an LCD that was common. i think it has more to do with display image and basic drivers used by X and with LCD monitors. it is very common on lower res LCD's ones that max out at 1024x768. high res dont seem to do it unless se to low res

another issue with LCD's screen alighnment

problem is a few monitors have auto correction and when u try to use the linux/Xwindows correction it will make things funky

if that happens just play around with both moniotor and windows setting until it works

Just Joined!
    Yeah, on my laptop (inspiron 8100) I have both XP and Suse 8.2, I get that too, but I figured it was fine. My problem is that in XP my resolution is set at 1600*1200, but in Linux it maxes out at 1024x768 and I think 16bit. I know that my video card and screen can handle much more than that, btw my video card is the geforce 2 go 32meg. I am pretty sure that I have the latest drivers installed for that (Knoppix installed those when I installed Linux). I am wondering if I am stuck with these settings, or is there a way to get more out of it. I am rather new to Linux, so please dont slam me for my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Thanks for your time in advance,

Speedo

btw: I went to Suse's control center to change the resolution and such, that is where I got the information about 1024x768 being the top end of my resolution selections. I would like to remedy this because I like it that way (1600x1200 32bit).

Linux Engineer
    Samsung wrote back and stated that this was not harmful at all. Furthermore, playing around with the monitor's imagelock feature solved the problem.