Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, An issue that comes up again and again as I 'test drive' various distros is that the wrong sound device gets selected in KDE. My machine has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE - wrong sound device selected

Hi all,

An issue that comes up again and again as I 'test drive' various distros is that the wrong sound device gets selected in KDE. My machine has a defunct VIA Technologies on-board card, which I can't disable as there is no option in the BIOS. The main card is a Creative SB Live Value and this works, most distros see it and select it as the default but some don't. I also have a TV PCI card which sometimes is mistaken for a sound device.

My question is, seeing as I can't select the sound card during the install process, how do change the sound device once the system has booted? It must be possible and hopefully someone can tell me.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    Does sound outside of KDE work? I'm not sure what the best way is to test that, unless you have an application that plays sound directly through alsa or oss without using KDE's arts daemon. A text-based player such as aplay (for alsa) would also work.

If it's just KDE, then chances are you can fix it by changing the device driver/location settings under the control center's Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System panel.

[edit] Woohoo, 101st post.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Hi Workaphobia,

When I got to that I get options to change from 'Default' to Open Source Sound (I think) plus a list of of alternative drivers (I think that's what they are) but the sound device itself is not listed.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633