Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You swap space should be at LEAST 1.5 to 2 times the amount of RAM you have. What do the logs tell you? Your apps could start slowly for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

SWAP

You swap space should be at LEAST 1.5 to 2 times the amount of RAM you have.

What do the logs tell you?

Your apps could start slowly for a number of reasons, I'm assuming you're running KDE or GNOME... try logging into a "safe" X session. From there run "mozilla &" See if it starts faster...

On my 180Mhz Laptop, in KDE Mozilla takes roughly 1.5 minutes to load whereas WindowMaker or XFCE4 it takes right around 15 seconds - same deal with XTERM - in KDE it takes nearly minute and it's instantaneous on the other two -

Cole

Linux User
    i'm running bluecurve and is a gnome-kde desktop supposedly(?). would swap space really matter? or is it more with the gimp app?

Linux Newbie
    there's not telling - please check the logs... try switching to a more lightweight windowmanager - try upgrading GIMP - try adding more swap space - and if none of that works - then at least we've eliminated some of the easiy accomplished tasks first

PS - on my desktop - it NEVE locks up intil I use a program that uses the KDE Libs in some way... within minutes I can plan on it locking up solid///

Cole

Linux User
    which logs are we talking about here exactly?

do you know what a bonobono is?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2