Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I've used Slackware 10.0 without any X environment and only with console for about a year, and I've haven't any problems. I installed Debian Sarge 3.1 and the XFree86 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bad resolution list in Xorg

Hello! I've used Slackware 10.0 without any X environment and only with console for about a year, and I've haven't any problems. I installed Debian Sarge 3.1 and the XFree86 system worked perfectly. Then I used all of my space with Slackware 10.1 and installed Xorg with KDE. After some mouse problems I noticed that the resolution was too low. My monitor can allow resolutions from 640x480 to 1024x752 if I'm no wrong with the second number of the last resolution. But I can't modify in KDE nor in Gnome the resolution any else that from 640x400 to 640x480... everything is configured correctly, the driver and the capabilities and properties of the monitor, I don't know which could be the problem, because in Debian there's no problem, in Slackware 10.0 there wasn't, but in Slackware 10.1 there are substanciall troubles. I've been thinking of a corrupted data download or burning, and I've been thinking in reinstall or even redownload and reburn, but I want to know first if there's a solution, because I have to backup all of my data before reinstall and is too much time spend in partitioning and others (my CD burner is not recognized in Linux nor in Windows -when I used it- and I want to configure fine first the resolution that the LAN).

oz
    forum.guy
    Make sure you know the correct specifications for your monitor, video card, keyboard, and mouse, then run "xorgconfig" as root.

This will start a configuration script and all you'll need to do is answer the questions with the correct answers. When the script completes, exit root, then restart X with "startx" and you should be good to go.

Let us know...

Banned
    What video card do you have? My Radeon had a resolution problem in Fedora. I ended up switching to SuSE 9.3. SuSE had either a new version of the same driver or a different driver for my video card than Fedora. Also, if you have a Radeon Card, I believe there is an experimental 3D driver for the Radeon line, but I can't say who made it.

Linux Engineer
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XFree86.4conf (or similar for XFree86)
    Go to the Screen section, and look at the Modes line for the default color depth. X will try using the resolution on the left first. Restart X if you're in it.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, but those configuration assistants are too linear, and I, with all the specifications of my monitor and video card (because I don't see in which way could the mouse or keyboard affect the resolution if they work correctly), configured manally the /etc/xorg.conf file (as I've already said before), but nothing works (I tried too with the color depths, but I've get only errors).

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cvelasquez
    (because I don't see in which way could the mouse or keyboard affect the resolution if they work correctly)
    The mouse and keyboard don't have anything to do with the resolution, but when you run "xorgconfig", the script does ask questions about them. If you answer the questions wrong, they probably won't work properly when the script completes.