Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi - I have been reading several of the posts regarding desktop customization and using other desktop environments other than GNOME and KDE. I am a person that does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What desktop options do I have?

Hi -

I have been reading several of the posts regarding desktop customization and using other desktop environments other than GNOME and KDE. I am a person that does not like to have unused stuff hanging around, and that includes computer programs. I would be very happy without a lot of the extras that seem to come with GNOME and KDE but to remove them seems to break several links until I end up removing the entire desktop environment.

I am pretty new to Linux, but am willing to jump into things if I have enough resources. What other desktop environments are out there? Are they easily customizable? I have seen some smooth looking desktops but haven't the slightest of how to do that. But mainly, I just want to trim the fat. I have no need for a bunch of games that I never play but can't get rid of.

oz
    forum.guy
    Here are a few different WMs and DEs you could try:

http://xwinman.org/

I personally like Fluxbox, Blackbox, Pekwm, XFCE4, Icewm, and wmii-2 (but not necessarily in that order).

This link may help:

I would personally recommend XFCE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    This link may help:

I would personally recommend XFCE.
    Umm... is there an echo in here? :P

Sorry. I was slow in composing my post while you already posted your reply.

oz
    forum.guy
    No problem... I was just cutting up with you.

It's usually me that posts the same info a minute behind someone else.

Linux User
    I'm using Ion3 this week, but my favorite conventional WM is probably Enlightenment. I really like the looks of E17 (current is 16.8, 17 is a rather stable but incomplete beta), and it sounds like what you're looking for. It has very advanced graphics, great usability, and yet it's very light weight. I haven't played with E17 much yet, but E16 is also quite customizable, though it often takes the hacking of cryptic configs.

I've also liked Fluxbox and PekWM in the past, but there are so many, and tastes are so varying. That xwinman.org links is a great one, it will give you a good opportunity to travel a well informed path of your own.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Engineer
    Enlightenment 16 (just a WM)
    Enlightenment 17 Beta (Really sexy and lightweight but not that functional yet)
    Xfce
    XPde
    Fluxbox

XFCE all the way for older pcs (and maybe newer ones) but i prefer GNOME for my more powerful pc especially considering that it comes default with fedora.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Enthusiast
    i'll add one to the xfce vote....it's very fast

i use it on my computer (see sig) and love how it runs....and there's some you can customize in it too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast