Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there any virus' for linux if so what are they and how do i defend my self from them. and is there any good websites or books on internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

virus for linux

is there any virus' for linux if so what are they and how do i defend my self from them. and is there any good websites or books on internet security. im farily new on cryptography and SSL encripton but i need a greater knowledge data base.

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Engineer
    i think there are a few (think double digits... maybe....) but because of the way linux runs things its much harder for a virus to stay undetected or to do anything important in the first place.

Ur much more likely to get hacked than virused. But as long as u keep everything up to date its pretty hard to get any unathorized access

Linux Engineer
    It doenst exist a virus for linux as them you know for windows. Hackers usually uses worms which are using weaknesses in installed packages (bugs).

The best way to prevent that is to update your installed packages when new arrives and to shutdown unesassary services that listen to the network.
    Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    cool thanks for the help

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux User
    i posted a similar question and i got the same answer. now about the services, how do you know which services aren't needed? i did netstat -antwup & netstat -antwup | grep LISTEN as root, as adviced, and got about 6-7 services listening on some ports. i killed them all manually except for a service that keeps on locking my system whenever i try to kill it. are there some more hidden services that netstat doesn't show? and how do i block ports?

Linux Engineer
    i dotn think service can hide from netstat.

u dotn need to block ports in linux, if a service isnt listening on them they are effetively blocked anyway. ie, a hacker cant log into a port without anything listenign on it.

Linux Engineer
    You should be able to see every process that have bind a socket with netstat -anp. Then the best way to stop services is to stop them first from /etc/init.d/ and then tell the system that you don want it to be started on next boot.

If you are using redhat you can use chkconfig to disable or enable services, on other dists you may have to remove the start symlinks under /etc/rc<runlevel>.d for the services you want to disable.
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    ok, thanks guys. i'm just being paranoid! hehehe....