Find the answer to your Linux question:
K yes it does exist "alpha 1 winamp for lynix" When I try to install it it goes to /user/local/winamp/winamp.exe I try and open it but it does nothing. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

win amp or how to play a cd.

K yes it does exist "alpha 1 winamp for lynix" When I try to install it it goes to /user/local/winamp/winamp.exe

I try and open it but it does nothing. Now keep in mind I know nothing about this lynix. Its new and strange to me. But I just want to play a cd for now. The other media player runs fine. Its called Grip or something. But there is no sound. So I test the sound device. (creative sound blaster extigy) It plays a test sound just fine. So we have sound there but nothing in grip. Hook up the head phones to the cd roms face and of course it plays so what gives?

Linux Enthusiast
    in the mixer program (kmix maybe?) there are a bunch of dials for volumes. Check to make sure that CD is turned up to a reasonable level. Also, does this work under Windows? If not then you probably forgot to hook up a little wire that goes between your sound card and your cdrom (should be about 2 feet long, have a small connector on each side and have only 2 or 4 wires in it).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    Well it did work in windows. Linux did play the test sound. Checked the volume and its all the way up with no mute button active. Its got to be that program that plays the cd, its probably not seeing the creative extigy sound device.

Linux User

volume in linux

I had this same problem, go to a virtual shell and type 'aumix' and make sure the volume text bar is all the way to the right and the CD one too. Hope this helps

Linux Enthusiast
    the test sound is played over the normal PCM (standard sound card) channel. The CD Rom is played over the CDROM channel, which is different, and is almost definately the problem then.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.