Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there as you may guess reading the topicname i cant get my x-window up. So here are the thing ive not done: I downloaded the latest debian realese ISO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Debian + X-window problem

Hi there as you may guess reading the topicname i cant get my x-window up.
    So here are the thing ive not done:
    I downloaded the latest debian realese ISO from linuxiso.org (damn nice page)
    installed debian on a computer in the school and got it running.

Now....

The problem is that im using mandrake 9.1 at home so im quite used to picking individual packages in the install. Im also confused because of the fact that the installation didnt give me the oporunity to install xfree86 so i can get x running (i just suppose that xfree is a part of the problem). Ive checked the debian disk and ive found xfree along with some desktop environments and some other interesting stuff. Another problem that i stuffed myself into is that chose the cdrom as the primary package installation source for apt. Now, ive only been using linux for 4 months or so, os i know the basics but i still aint a pro .
    So without proper help ill have to reinstall just to pick that "install from ftp" choice. (dont worry the harddrive's clean anyway). ill post the sources.list file tomorrow if that will help ya.
    And also as im more "mandy" then debian so id like to ask how to install packages from a specific location with apt, i mean, last time i wrote something like "apt-get install /home/foo/bar.deb" it just told me that it couldnt find the package (i know its there).

Id be very grateful if you gave me a step-by-step guide how to get x running

Just Joined!
    I haven't really done much with Debian's packaging system, so I might be wrong about some of this.

If you need to install a specific package from a file, you'll need to use dpkg, not apt-get. Just type dpkg -i <package.deb>. Dpkg works similarly to RedHat's RPM system. Apt-get is a frontend for retrieving packages and installing them. With apt-get, you tell it the package name(not filename), and it will look for and retreive it.

Also, you don't have to reinstall to reselct the APT source, you can just edit the sources.list file in /etc/apt and add the new sources. You might want to search on google for how to do that.

Installing X11:

Debian doesn't automatically assume you'll be running X11, but only asks you anything about it once you actually tell it to install it.

If you're installing from CD-ROM, scan all the cds in your set by running "apt-cdrom add" if you haven't already scanned them.

Run "dselect" and choose select. There are several help screens, which should tell you the keystrokes and stuff. Pick out the X11 packages you want. You'll probably get some package dependency lists along the way with default choices. Once you're done, press enter and then do install. It will give you some config prompts when it installs. You can also configure it later if it doesnt ask you then, using one of the X configuration programs if you installed them.

thanks for the help, ill try that with google !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly (I use ftp). If you want to use CDROMs instead of the internet, I believe you can use the command apt-cdrom (man apt-cdrom should suffice). Once you have the file set up, all you need to run is "apt-get install x-window-system-core" or "apt-get install x-window-system" for a more complete version. I find that the first is sufficient for a workstation.

If you get into more trouble, post the message.
    The best things in life are free.

thanks for the tip about x-window-system install. Im right now running the x-window installer and i hope that the things gonna go now, ill tell you if i need more help, thanks already.

Problem, again.....

i've got a problem again.
    everything went fine with the installer untill i got to the point where it asks me to enter the name of the card / manufacturer. the thing is i wasnt quite sure about the manufacturer so i chose vga drivers. later on it occoured that the card wasnt old enough to have vga as standard;
    all it says when im about to start up X (i just type startx) it displays all the standard messages, the screen goes black, then boom, im back in the console with an error message reading something like:
    "vga driver 0 being used
    failed to initiate process
    AddScreen/ScreenInit"

Or something like that.

ill open the box tomorrow to check the manufacturer of the card but im curious of how to get back to that "graphical configurator" of X or is it impossible after installation?

ok, ive got a Rendition Venite 2000 card, which makes me think:
    "****, noone has ever heard of this kind of card..."