Find the answer to your Linux question:
Did an HD install from the Knoppix 4.0 DVD, and am currently getting everything configured. One thing I'm not having much success with is getting VNCServer to setup a proper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VNCServer Configuration Setup

Did an HD install from the Knoppix 4.0 DVD, and am currently getting everything configured. One thing I'm not having much success with is getting VNCServer to setup a proper window for my remote client. When I run vncserver, it comes up and gives me the message about setting up desktop 1. If I go downstairs to my client machine I can connect, but all I get is a gray background with an X for the mouse pointer. No X Terminal or anything else. If I then tell it "vncserver -kill:1" it shuts down the first desktop, but then automatically starts a second on :2.

I have setup a .vnc/xstartup file, but I don't get the impression that vncserver is using it. Is that an issue particular to the version of vnc that comes on the 4.0 DVD? Any other suggestions/clues?

Thanks in advance,
    Ewan

Just Joined!
    FWIW, I've confirmed that the version of VNCServer is based on RealVNC, and is version 3.3.7-7. I notice that Synaptic shows a vnc4, but am not sure if that's a different type of vnc or a later version or...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!
    OK, problem turned out to be something with the way the provided VNC server is configured. I went ahead and did the update to the vnc4server (and common and reader), and then it started using the xstartup file as expected. The xstartup file that ended up working for me was:

Code:
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

/usr/bin/startkde &
    So, now all I have to do is figure out how to get that to autoload after a reboot and I should be in good shape to move on to other challenges

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ewanrg
    OK, problem turned out to be something with the way the provided VNC server is configured. I went ahead and did the update to the vnc4server (and common and reader), and then it started using the xstartup file as expected. The xstartup file that ended up working for me was:

Code:
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

/usr/bin/startkde &
    So, now all I have to do is figure out how to get that to autoload after a reboot and I should be in good shape to move on to other challenges
    To check if it's booted during start of any runlevel type:

Code:
    chkconfig --list vncserver
    This wil result in the output:

vncserver 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
    As you are running a server it will boot in runlevel 3 (5=graphical level)
    To turn on the autoboot type:

Code:
    chkconfig --level 3 vncserver on
    Good luck

Note:

To shut it down type : vncserver -kill MYHOSTNAME:1
    replace MYHOSTNAME with the full qualified hostname that the server says in it's output when starting up.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    ewanrg,

Do you still have the site URL where you found what xstartup file configuration to use?

I have GNOME and I can't find what to put in that file for the VNC session to start up!

Thanks
    B