Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by ganniterix The second card (nvidia) was put because the ati on it's own was crashing OK, then from what I read, you have ATI graphics on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Disabled mother-board graphics in BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by ganniterix
    The second card (nvidia) was put because the ati on it's own was crashing
    OK, then from what I read, you have ATI graphics on the motherboard? Or are we talking two separate cards that were tried on different occasions?

A silly question on my part, but I think it still needs to be confirmed.

Please confirm (if there are graphics on the motherboard) you did disable the motherboard graphics in the BIOS, so it would not interfer with the graphics card that you were using?

Just Joined!
    tried too ... but linux is too "cool" for that and finds it anyway

Just Joined!
    Any other idea??

Buy new hardware

Quote Originally Posted by ganniterix
    Any other idea??
    Buy new hardware. ... Reads like either a hardware problem, or incompatibility between SuSE and your hardware.

The two graphic card explanation already suggests things are not great with your hardware. Your PC's BIOS should be able to disable a card such that Linux will not get confused. ... I'm not impressed with the BIOS on the PC you are using. Nor with the ATI graphics on the motherboard.

Just Joined!
    Oh well!! That is not an option!! I don't see why this board should not work in graphical mode! Everything else is working perfectly.

I don't remember if it was previously on this post or some other forum, I got a reply from someone with the same motherboard tha had the same problem. And this is a server board, **SHOULD** have a valid BIOS. Also I am using gentoo. Linux is able to ignore BIOS and find cards and peripherals on its own. So if anyone has any suggestion to what must not be compiled into the kernel, so that linux stops recognizing unwanted hardware... I'd appreciate that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3